• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taking Pictures posted by Captain Clipon

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I can't STAND to take pictures of my coins... at least till now.

I think most of the collectors here have taken pics of their coins. Do you use a full-sized or a desktop tripod? Ever tried to hold the camera by hand? It's a PAIN. The tripods are clumsy (maybe it's me). My hand isn't that steady. The equipment's limitations make my pictures turn out lousy.

I use a lamp on an adjustable arm to search coins. I recently found a magnifying lens with the same arm. The arm allows me to place the light or lens exactly where I want it. It occurred to me that I could do the same thing with my camera. Now I am not the type to run to the camera store and buy brand-new equipment, so I don't even know if this camera mount that I envisioned exists. It doesn't have to... I made one. I found a light fixture with an arm and a mounting bracket. All I had to do is remove the lamp and fashion a bracket so that I can attach my camera. I found everything I needed in my garage. All it took was a bolt, two nuts and some plumber's strap. We used to make whistles with the plumber's strap when I was a kid, and I happen to have a roll of the stuff. It is available at your local hardware store. Simply bend the strap into the profile of a hat and attach the bolt to it. A couple of small screws will marry the contraption to the arm and the abomination is complete. The bolt threads into the bottom of my camera. and, TATA! I have an infinitely adjustable camera mount. I use the two-second delay on my camera to compensate for the slight shimmy after I push the button to take a picture. Now I can concentrate on placement of the lighting and positioning of the coin. My pics are of a much higher quality simply because I can concentrate on what makes them good, rather than on that dumb tripod.

Yes, it's ugly, and yes, I found it at a thrift store.

I would assume that most people who collect coins are not like me. I have more time than money. By building what I need instead of buying it, I can spend more money on those jewels that we love so much.

By the way, I am coming along with my SP69 Lincoln satin set. The 2010 Satins have started to show up in the market, but I have yet to see an SP69. Patience, Captain, patience.

7627.jpg

See more journals by Captain Clipon