• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1900 Lafayette ms62 do you think I should send in for regrade?

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

I purchased a 1900 lafayette comm. $1 graded ms 62 by P.C.G.S., its in a old rattler holder, I think if I sent it in it would at least grade a ms63. Please look at the pics of this coin and let me know if you think I should send it in to P.C.G.S. to see if they will regrade it to ms63. Thanks, Dan

102608.jpg.2a979cc03768457e2ee7c12a00093419.jpg

102609.jpg.824f7985117e46a6cf5b60c96ac1c4c8.jpg

I don't think I could make any judgement gradewise from those scans as the clarity and lighting are not sufficient to guestimate between the grades on MS62 and MS63...sorry. I will say that an MS62 in a rattler is going to be worth a small premium to some so what is the price jump between 62 and 63....?

Hi Shane,

Grey sheet iin MS60 is $830.00 in MS63 its $1725.00

Coin Values it is MS60 is$1000.00 in MS63 its $2000.00

P.C.G.S. ms62 value is $1250.00

Do you think I should try for a regrade or just keep it in ms62? Thanks, Dan

People (Mark Feld) ;) have been telling me and other collectors for years that if you want a coin in that grade buy it in that grade already in the holder you want it in vs trying to pay extra money for resubmissions. If you want another opinion then you could send the coin to NGC or send the coin to CAC to see if they give it a green bean or a gold bean. Ultimately it is just an opinion and the coin might truly be a high grade 62 or a low grade 63 and if submitted enough times you might get it in the holder you think it deserves.....

personally I would just enjoy the coin for what it is and if you need to have one in a 63 holder just sell this one and upgrade (thumbs u

Impossible to tell anything with those images, if you could take a few shots with a digital camera it would help us make a better decision.

You know what they say, nothings guaranteed but death and taxes, so it could upgrade, downgrade, or not grade at all. (shrug)

Dan, what is your basis and perspective and expertise in thinking that the coin deserves a higher grade? Would you be asking the same question if the coin weren't in an older holder? ;)

I thought the coin had excellent detail, color and luster, and eye appeal. It looked like a strong ms63 to me and I thought it was undergraded, so I wanted to see if other collectors like yourself thought if i should send it in for a regrade or just leave it as is. I'm totally happy with the coin and I'm not looking for upgrade or different coin for this date or anything, I definitely bought the coin and not the holder, I just thought it was undergraded. thanks, Dan

Purchasing coins for your collection that you feel may upgrade will not bring you any satisfaction in your collection. Strong odds against coins upgrading. You may hit one now and then, but a loosing battle in the long run. It's your dough so of course you can do as you please. I just feel that one should buy coins for enjoyment purposes. Being that coin collecting is a hobby. :)

I would take it to a major coin show and let a few trusted dealers such as Julian and Mark take a look at it in hand and get their opinion. I like the old rattlers and they do bring a small premium at auction so I would leave it as is unless there is a lock upgrade potential.

The photo or scan is too over exposed for me to draw any conclusions about this coin. It would be better if you could concentrate more on the coin, and less on the entire holder. I’m pretty sure that it has been dipped, because “natural” white Lafayette Dollars are almost never seen in the lower grades.

My experience with MS-62 coins is that they are often sliders. I avoid them unless they have really great eye appeal, or they are early coins which are very hard or expensive to find in the “normal” grades of MS-63 or 64. In any case most MS-62 graded coins are graded that way for a reason that usually does not yield up grades. Up grades are more common from for MS-63, 64 and 65 graded coins.

It may be worth more, or at least more liquid, in the older holder and viewed as a possible upgrade than if it were in a newer holder and viewed as maxed out.

Compare you Lafayette Dollar with this piece, which is in a PCGS MS-63 holder. I think that would have made MS-64 had it not been for the vertical scratch that is under the horse's belly. If the surfaces of your coin don't have this type of luster, you won't get an up grade.

LafayetteO.jpgLafayetteR.jpg