• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 Isabella Comm. Quarter please give grading opinion

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I purchased a 1893 Isabella Quarter graded by P.C.G.S. MS62 and I sent it in to them in the original holder to see if they would regrade to a ms63 and they didn't??

Please look at the pics and tell me what you think? Thanks, Dan

102603.jpg.f8ec0e322259c1ec543f2b2841db2697.jpg

102604.jpg.6bff28e7d51a9cf20d8cf9229f78d6a1.jpg

102605.jpg.1ed33394fbc8ed92d28a780c74819f01.jpg

102606.jpg.38a757ea7643ea966c7ae785d455e9de.jpg

Your pictures make it hard to give a grade because of clarity and size of the images.

However, this is a classic trend of people who send their slabbed items back to a TPG for a re-grade because they feel the coin is undergraded.

Remember, you're paying for a TPG's opinion on the grade and doesn't necessarily reflect the grade the coin may or may not be.

I would need to see high res close up images to guestimate and only then it would be a guestimate which is no substitute for PCGS having the coin in hand. With that said we all like to play the guessing game around here so I don't blame you for trying to gather additional opinions. If you want a real test...crack the coin out and submit it raw if you are brave :devil:

Looks like a really nice coin to me. Does it have hairlines (or something else) that are not shown in the image?

But in any event, if you wanted an MS-63, you probably should have just bought one. That coin is not scarce at all - far from it - and as far as I recall, the price difference between the two grades is not that large either.

From my experience, MS-61 and 62's in the old green labels indicated something on the surface of the coin was disturbed, usually in the fields or on a focal point in the devices.

It appears to be a "Mint State" example of a Isabella, but discounted due to a low MS grade. There is not much difference in the price range between a 62 and a 63, I'd be totally happy with that commemorative as is.

I am happy with the coin. so I will defintely keep it, I was just surprised that it did not grade ms63. I have seen tons of coins graded ms63 by N.G.C. and P.C.G.S. that did not look good, had lots of bag marks, bad toning and detail etc. I really think this coin is a strong MS63 with nice color, detail, luster and eye appeal. Thanks, Dan

I really like the coin so I'm going to keep it, I just think it is much better looking than all the ms63 graded coins in this date that I have seen and looked at. Thanks, Dan

hard to tell from the photos

one day it comes back the same grade another time crack it out and it gets bodybagged

you tried it and pcgs left it as ms 62

i woujld leave it in the holder as is and when you sell it if the coin has decent eye appeal in hand let someone else buy it from you and try it themselves

yes i would send to cac if it gets the green bean then you know you got a true unc. coin

and not one that is unc. with more than slight rub that puts it in the au58 category

or maybe?? and i cant tell from the photos it might have hairlines from a past cleaning and with the hairlines they market/net grade this coin to an ms 62

i dont know

but try cac and remember if they dont sticker it you can call them and ask why if you let them know beforehand so you can see what you are missing and they might be able to enlighten you so to speak on what to look for when the coin is returned stickered or not

good luck

and please keep me informed let me know what

happens

also this above comments also apply to the lafayette you posted on another thread in the older rattler ms 62 holder

maybe it is an upgrade?? why dont you send both to cac and find out either way??

and state on the form with both coins that if one or both dont sticker that you would like to talk to ja for an explaination of why and what to look for when you get both coins home

The pictures are too small to say for sure, but I think I see a hint of a rub on Queen Isabella's cheek, and evidence of a rub in the fields. If that is so the coin is a "slider MS-62" and will not up-grade. It's also likely that the coin has been dipped, which would lower the grade also.

If you wanted an MS-63, why didn't you buy one? The price difference on the Gray Sheet, which is a pretty good guide for these out of favor coins, is less than $100 between MS-60 ($425) and MS-63 ($510). After you have spent money on the grading fees and postage, plus the risk that you won't get the up grade, I don't see where you saved anything.

The seller you purchased from is a very well known dealership that does a large volume of business and submits a substantial number of coins, if I recall correctly. Therefore, it would be my educated guess that any coin they sell in an older holder has already been scrutinized by them for an upgrade or has been submitted for upgrade without success. These are things you learn over time.