• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unopened 1955-1964 proof sets

15 posts in this topic

This question also applies to 1965 SMS.

Is it worthwhile to open these, or keep them "factory sealed". They were meant to be looked at and enjoyed, but on the other hand will they be worth more in the future if unopened for someone hoping to find a "super coin"? After all, the "super coins" that exist came from these sets at one time.

Then again, it's likely many that sets that appear sealed may have already been carefully opened and resealed.

Thoughts on this one?

you hit on two most IMPORTANT POINTS

1--- it's likely many that sets that appear sealed may have already been carefully opened and resealed

2-------- worthwhile to open these, They were meant to be looked at and enjoyed,

The flatpacks were sealed from the mint. This applies to both "interior" flatpacks that were mailed in bigger packages and "exterior" flatpacks that were addressed and mailed as envelopes.

To me buying sealed Proof sets is like buying a pig in a poke. You have no idea what the coins are like. They could be nice or they could be awful if they were stored in areas of excessive heat or constant temperature changes. Yes, I’ve know people to store their coins in a safe in their garage or attic, and those coins can be simply hideous.

This question also applies to 1965 SMS.

Is it worthwhile to open these, or keep them "factory sealed". They were meant to be looked at and enjoyed, but on the other hand will they be worth more in the future if unopened for someone hoping to find a "super coin"? After all, the "super coins" that exist came from these sets at one time.

Then again, it's likely many that sets that appear sealed may have already been carefully opened and resealed.

Thoughts on this one?

The envelops that proof sets from the 50's and early 60's were not "factory sealed".

They were sold open from the Mint. They were sealed by the owners of the sets at some point in time.

As far as opening them, it does not reduce their value if they are opened.

They are still proof sets from the Mint, containing proof coins.

The flatpacks were sealed from the mint. This applies to both "interior" flatpacks that were mailed in bigger packages and "exterior" flatpacks that were addressed and mailed as envelopes.
As an avid collector of the Special Mint series, I can attest to the fact that the unopened boxes of SMS coins, are the only guaranteed unopened and untampered with coins. The fact is, I have personally opened a couple of ten packs of 1965 SMS's and none of them were sealed. They have over time, due to storage in moist environments, become sealed. Or have been searched through and via unscrupulous dealers, been resealed and been resold as unopened to try and recoup their costs. The single envelopes that were sent to collectors are the only ones that were "factory sealed".

On another note.... I have never found any incredible finds in any of the sealed boxes that I have opened, which includes a sealed box of 25 from 1966. I have had much more luck purchasing single sets at coin shows where I cherry pick one to two coins in a single set.

So, all in all, I agree with what some have said, and have to respectfully disagree with what some have said.

i have baught a unopened box from coindude before and none of the manila colored envelopes were sealed. i no longer bid/buy the listings for sealed never open sets.these r most likely lower end coins that the previous owner knew wouldnt sell if he showed them.so he/she seals them and says they have never been seen.

lots of them say watch for a sertin coin worth tons, when if you think about it they would have looked if it were worth so much.

i do like factory sealed boxes of sets though cause you realy dont know what you will find.

OK, so I guess I will open these up. Next question - does it matter how I open the envelopes (cut a slit at the top, or ???)

Sometimes freezing will also let you open the flaps without damage as well. Then after yo cherry pick you can reseal and once again sell them as "unopened". That is if your conscience will let you. Mine would, but my sense of ethics won't.

Just so you know, replica mint and proof set envelopes are available on the net, so a sealed envelope is NOT any proof that they have not already been opened and sorted through. As has already been said, you would do much better to spend your money on a set you can actually SEE.

MM

I bought 4 1966 SMS Sets still sealed in the us mint mailer with 10 sets per package so

40 sets total and I didn't get anything but 2 low grade cameo half-dollars.