• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boston Fun Show

15 posts in this topic

Less than an hour away, I MUST attend. Took the day away from work on Wednesday to drive in and spend some time (and maybe some bucks). I'm looking forward to it.

sig.jpg

Just got back from the Boston ANA. I spent about an hour looking at Heritage coins and then only had about 90 minutes to walk to floor. I had planned on going up earlier but was delayed. For a show like this you need to allocate the whole day , 90 minutes is not enough time. The highlight of the show was seeing Mark Feld in person again !!! :D

The whole day?? When I go to an ANA convention I go for the whole show. And I often don't manage to spend much time on the bourse floor.

Conder – I bet you are wheelin and dealin in back rooms hidden from the public :grin:

I did accomplish what I needed to do .

1) Viewed Heritage Lots

2) Sold the coins I brought with me to a dealer

A foot note – EBAY is basically worthless . The coins I sold sat on EBAY for months with very little interest . It took me all of 15 minutes to sell them to a dealer who gave me a good price. I had the coins listed on EBAY as BIN Best Offer, I only received low ball offers .

it was a Fun show for me!

sold a bunch of stuff that I had either "accumulated" or found upgrades for during the period since January.

Bought an NGC AU58 1832 half dime...a die remarriage (LM-8.3) that I didn't have problem-free (allowing me to immediately sell my problematic dupe for 75% of the price I paid for the problem-free example)

Bought a Naval Medal from John Kraljevich. Almost bought a second one until he discovered it was not from original dies on the obverse

Bought an 1811/0 large cent for my Classic Head Cent collection (VGish, like the rest of the set)

Enjoyed the John Reich Collectors Society and Early American Coppers club meetings.

Enjoyed wandering around the bourse looking for coins, looking at coins, and talking to dealers and fellow collectors.

Enjoyed talking to old friends.

Enjoyed meeting people for the first time (especially the ones with whom I have corresponded over the internet)

Spent the week with my brother (also a collector, but he lives 1,000 miles away), the true highlight of the show.

Conder – I bet you are wheelin and dealin in back rooms hidden from the public :grin:

1) Viewed Heritage Lots

A foot note – EBAY is basically worthless . The coins I sold sat on EBAY for months with very little interest . It took me all of 15 minutes to sell them to a dealer who gave me a good price. I had the coins listed on EBAY as BIN Best Offer, I only received low ball offers .

The comment about Ebay is right on. It's a poor place to sell but a good place to buy.

1) Viewed Heritage Lots

The comment about Ebay is right on. It's a poor place to sell but a good place to buy.

EBAY is not the best place to purchase either . Yes there are some great bargains and excellent sellers but you have to filter through a lot of bad coins to find the good stuff. People who sell without a reserve are a great target for a good buy price however the risk is you could get a bad coin. Asking for a high resolution picture is a must for any EBAY purchase.

1) Viewed Heritage Lots

EBAY is not the best place to purchase either . Yes there are some great bargains and excellent sellers but you have to filter through a lot of bad coins to find the good stuff. People who sell without a reserve are a great target for a good buy price wise the risk is you could get a bad coin. Asking for a high resolution picture is a must for any EBAY purchase.

I agree completely. I have a list of about 10 dealers I buy from. They sell cheap because they buy cheap and depend on turnover to make money.

It makes sense that a good place to buy would be a bad place to sell.