• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It would be obvious and pretty safe to say that 1955 is THE premier DDO, right?

25 posts in this topic

I mean, there is no "better" doubled-die obverse in the entire U.S. compendium, wouldn't you agree? Sure the 1972 is nice, the 1969 pretty cool, and other series have their moments, but if someone says to you:

"DOUBLED DIE"

... the first thing you think of is 1955, right?

I tend to like the 1872 DDO half dime. It has similar separation but is a little less impressive because the date was of part of the doubled die so it doesn't show the doubling. The 1958 DDR cent also has similar separation and is much rarer and more valuable. The all time champion doubled die is the 1872 DDR dime with nearly 180 rotation between the hubbings.

Since the Lincoln cent series is very popular and the doubling is so extreme on the 1955, I would have to agree with your contention that this is the most popular and famous doubled die.

I mean, there is no "better" doubled-die obverse in the entire U.S. compendium, wouldn't you agree? Sure the 1972 is nice, the 1969 pretty cool, and other series have their moments, but if someone says to you:

"DOUBLED DIE"

... the first thing you think of is 1955, right?

Absolutely my favorite double die is the 1955 cent.Wish I had one.

james the 1955 ddo is the ultimate doubled die coin

also the coin had plussed in the greysheet in grades under unc many times in the last few months

great demand

cross collectible and always in demand

my friend got one as a teenager in 1956 in change at his parents country general store in pennsylvania and a few years ago he sent in the coin to pcgs

where it graded ms 64 rb

I admit to not knowing much about most double dies and could have been finding incorrect FS number.I went looking for the other DD's mentioned in this thread. From what I found just about all of the except the 1961 Roosevelt dime had minor doubling compared to the '55 Lincoln.Even that one wasn't as pronounced. Can someone point out where these coins such as the 1872 Half Dime the 34D Peace dollar or any other date compares o the degree of the 55?

Bochiman, that may be the most perfect looking 55 double die I have ever seen in terms of color, condition, and cool factor :applause: Thanks for sharing it but wouldn't that bad boy garner a star here at NGC? hm

Bochiman, that may be the most perfect looking 55 double die I have ever seen in terms of color, condition, and cool factor :applause: Thanks for sharing it but wouldn't that bad boy garner a star here at NGC? hm

Thanks, Rons.

It started in my collection in a NGC holder. No star. The thing about it is that, straight on, in "normal" light, it looks pretty and brown.

Turn it the slightest, give it some sunlight or some good room lighting, and it is like you see in the pic. I have had a dickens of a time in capturing that, which is why I sent it for truview.

So, it didn't have a star before, I don't think they would give it a star now, so I am ok with where it sits. I also think, IF I were to sell it, and it is NOT for sale currently, I would recognize a nice premium in the 3 or so years that I have owned it. You just don't find them as nice and unique as this every day.

It surely is not for someone who prefers nice red copper though.

Prudden, here is a link to a 1961 Franklin DDR sold on Heritage. It is the second most obvious doubled die, second only to the 1955 lincoln.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=434&Lot_No=3184

Second most obvious? Personally, I think the 43 quarter and the 72 cent are more obvious, but maybe that's just me.

Just an opinion –

There are no doubled dies as prominent as the 1955 cent. Involvement of the date is a key factor in its clarity. The 1934-D dollar has a greater displacement between hub strikes; however it took many more strikes to complete a dollar die than a cent die, and the dollar is strongest in the tiara rays, not the date.

Prudden, here is a link to a 1961 Franklin DDR sold on Heritage. It is the second most obvious doubled die, second only to the 1955 lincoln.

Second most obvious? Personally, I think the 43 quarter and the 72 cent are more obvious, but maybe that's just me.

I must be half blind because I hardly notice any doubling on the 1972 cent at all. Never inspected one in person just images but if these other double dies are no more prominent than that, its not a big deal to me at all.

I must be half blind because I hardly notice any doubling on the 1972 cent at all. Never inspected one in person just images but if these other double dies are no more prominent than that, its not a big deal to me at all.

That might be because the 72 has a gagillion different so-called double dies.All but one are . I've see the "good" one,sorry can't remember if it's FS-001 or 002 but it's a pretty nice DDO. That one is the 3rd best in my opinion(whatever it's worth) after the 55 cent and the '61 dime. The 61 Franklin is pretty good too.Especially at $7k for Proof 67.Whoa!!

Here's a link to the 72 Cent. The date is not as doubled as the letters.But the letters are well spaced.

http://www.coinpage.com/coin-image-2770.html

You are correct. Its obvious on this coin. But if the prices have appreciated on these others as they have on the 1955, I would call them exorbitant. The 1955 is definitely an interesting coin but I believe very expensive given its scarcity.

You are correct. Its obvious on this coin. But if the prices have appreciated on these others as they have on the 1955, I would call them exorbitant. The 1955 is definitely an interesting coin but I believe very expensive given its scarcity.

Well if you think $500.00+ in MS 65 is exorbitant compared to the $3,000.00+ for the 55 then it is. I am not so sure. I think the 55 is way overpriced and so are some others like the '37 3-legged Buffalo considering how easy they are to find.