• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Different Kind of Mint Error posted by Electric Peak Collection

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

How could I not know I had this?

I keep much of my childhood collection at home, tucked out of the way. Because it's all low grade, low value stuff, I rarely look at any of it. The one exception is my old large cent album, which might be worth a several hundred bucks. I look at it often - more often than my Registry coins, which are not so easily accessible...

One segment of that old stuff I almost never pull out is a small group of mint sets from the 1960s and 70s. But I did look at them last week, and noticed something interesting - something I can't believe I never noticed before. Despite my youthful ignorance and the infrequent viewing over the years, this is something one just has to notice.

In my 1968 mint set, the Denver portion looks just fine. The coins are nothing special, and have become somewhat dull in appearance. The Philadelphia coins haven't fared any better. In particular, one of the cents has two glaringly obvious black spots on the obverse.

Yes, I said "one of the cents". You see, the P mint half dollar has miraculously turned into a cent inside the mint packaging! I just can't get over the fact that I didn't realize I had this packaging error. How could even a stupid kid not notice that he was cheated out of 49 cents and a complete set?

So now my mission is to find out what this set might be worth. I'd be surprised if it's a lot, given that the coins themselves appear normal, and not in superb condition. So if anyone has any thoughts on what it might be worth, I'd be glad to hear.

7597.JPG

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection