• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1795 dollar

14 posts in this topic

the coin is a bb-27 so from the obverse only you can tell it is 3 leaves

the high relief head in other words the head of miss liberty especially so the middle center area of the obverse is actually higher than the edge of the coin and is the highest point of the coin so you always see lots of wear in the middle of the coin as apposed to the edges of the coin

strange but true on a coin like this

i believe the bb-27 your coin was the highest relief head for a 1795 flowing hair dollar

it is hard for me to tell from the photos

but it could go vf 25+ but it might have been mystery graded in other words net graded due to some issues with the coin in hand which i cant see from the photos

and the photos are okie but not great but i cant take photos so what do i know

it is hard to grade/evaulate any coins from photos even great photos and with this particular 18th century coin impossible for me to make a judgment call on if the coin will upgrade

now show me the coin in hand sight seen and i can almost tell you almost pretty closely what will happen with a regrade submitted in the holder

but again close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades

good luck with it a nice looking coin with great history and a really cool 18th century type coin sghow it to anyone and their eyes light up if they are a collector that understands and appreciates early federal coinage

(thumbs u

Does it really matter if it were to be graded VF-25? You would not get any more money for it, and it would not raise the coin in the condition census because it is well below that level. In the old days this coin would have barely made VF, and some old time dealers might have called it Fine. Perhaps the hairline marks on the portrait induced PCGS to lower the grade by 5 points, but it's hard to know what might go through a grader's mind when he has to grade so many coins in an hour.

This coin is an old green holder I think second generation. Just wondering though.all the scratches probably did backtrack to a vf20 but the whole coin doesn't have all these scratches.it is a lower end grade but not as bad as some other ones I have seen that were recently graded and they seem flatter and darker.

I don’t think you would get an upgrade. You would have to risk cracking it out and I do not recommend doing that . You have a nice VF 20 FH dollar.

Here is my BB 27 VF 20 1795 . This coin was purchased in a ICG VF 30 holder for much less then a VF 30 price , and subsequently sent to PCGS for a proper grade of VF 20 . Some would say my coins is only F 15 . These coins are very difficult to grade.

102199.jpg.5c86c9ce58d6dabf983d256db1c2eaa2.jpg

Our coins are alike except there's more rim detail on yours but same copperish color. These coins really do vary in vf20 condition. Thanks for showing me that. at the grading service people see different things I plan on leaving mine exactly as is

Actually, I think your coin is fairly strong for VF-20. But, who really cares about the extra five points? I say keep the $100 that it would probably cost overall to get an upgrade, and buy yourself a fine copy of the Bolender book. You'll have money left over to enjoy a nice hot coffee and a couple of pastries to boot.

Grading these old coins to five points resolution gets to the point of being silly :) .

james is exactly correct

with early coinage it is hard to just put a commerical nubmer opinion on a holder and leave it at that

there is consideration to strike, overall coloration and originality, eye appeal, weakness of strike on opposite sides of the coin etc. these coins really need a sentence or 2 with regards to just a stated grade now for more evenly struck coins getting into the later 19th and 20th century this is more easier and understandable for one grade on a holder

remember that these 18th century coins were struck on screw presses with open collars and all hand engraved dies and individually punched dies for numbers and lettering

so it is a catch all to again try to grade just by a number grade but the services do their best with what they got to work with within reason as you will never see three sentences for a grade statement just impossible on a small plastic slab tag

i see you like early american coins. i like them just because of the work put into them and artistic designs. early bust halves, liberty nickels, and sitting liberty. i also like early half dimes and flying eagle cents because of their 3-d look. i like the heraldic designs on the bust dollars. there really isn't any modern coinage that i like except maybe for walking liberty. the imagination just isn't there. of course morgan dollars mostly just dmpl.

Our coins are alike except there's more rim detail on yours but same copperish color. These coins really do vary in vf20 condition. Thanks for showing me that. at the grading service people see different things I plan on leaving mine exactly as is

Mine is a dove grey - no copper color at all.