• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bust half variety

13 posts in this topic

Hi Dan

There is only one variety of beaded border on the 1836 and that is the O-106 and 106a.

As Jamie said, Pics are best :-)

Cheers Martin

It's not the beaded border reverse--wrong obverse die--but, if you can post an obverse pic without glare blocking out the date and a reverse pic I think that you might actually end up happier than if it was the 106.

PCGS is usually decent at putting an indication of variety on the slab (beaded border being one).

Still not sure from the pics. From the first obverse pic you posted I thought that it might be the 50/00 reverse--still not sure that it isn't. The motto starts and stops on the reverse in approximately the right place in relation to the letters above it, but I still can't see the date or the 50 clearly enough to make the call. My gut feeling now, though, is that it isn't.

Hi Dan. I think the raised/beaded edge is hard to discern, even from good photos. Yours would need to be a lot more detailed (bigger and crisper). And even then wear or strike may challenge you.

Instead, look to other diagnostics. With a loupe, examine the shield. Do most of the vertical stripes extend into the first couple of crossbars? Count over to the fifth stripe (each stripe has three lines, six stripes altogether). Look to see if the 2nd or 3rd line in that fifth stripe drops below the shield and into eagle's feathers.

Then there's all the usual diagnostics for banner and arrow positions, second T in STATES relative to the I in PLURIBUS, etc. Borrow the book and check it out.

106 isn't a tough variety (R1). There are lots of cooler ones and yours might be one. Do some homework or provide really good pix.

Lance.