• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The First Entry - Introduction

3 posts in this topic

I've had a free membership here since 2008. During that time I've mostly used it for reading in the chatrooms. Lately, I've started to add some sets.

My bio states that I've been assembling a collection of Post WW2 proof and mint uncirculated US coins. With over 1400 coins the question arises 'how am I doing'? Well, a current count from my database says I have 1140 coins with 1080 unique uncertified and 60 certified.

Now I have to answer a big question. Do I want to commit the money to certify my uncertified coins or just buy certified on the open market? Something I've been debating with myself for the past few months without a real answer yet.

See more journals by pnunemacher

• Administrator

I would say the answer lies in your confidence and experience in grading coins. Whether you are buying coins that are already graded or deciding whether to certify the raw coins you have, having a good chance at knowing the appropriate grade for a coin helps alot.

For raw coins there is a certain level of grade that's worth certifying versus the value of the coin, and below a certain point of scarcity or grade it's probably not worth it.

You might want to check out our grading forum to start to get a feel for things. Ultimately the ANA's grading course is probably the best start.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=71&PHPSESSID=

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've taken the ANA Grading Course and while it has helped there is still the problem that I don't have enough practical experience to see the difference between a PR69 and PR70 for example.

The only way I can see is to get that experience is make my grade of a particular coin and send it in to NGC. Do this over and over again. Expensive if it takes a large number of coins.

On the other hand, you can often buy certified coins, especially the modern coins, on the open market for less than the cost of certification. Thus, my dilemma.

Phil

sig.jpg

P.S. My 1946-1959 sets are made up of certified coins since I never got the raw sets. The proofs were so dirt cheap compared to sending in my raw sets that it was a no-brainer.