• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New variety keeps me interested in 1921 Morgans posted by Sentry02

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

In looking for clashed coins a few weeks ago, I found some interesting coins from 1921-S. One in particular was a keeper...

I am a collector of clashed Morgans when and where I can find them. The stronger the clash, the more likely I am to be quite interested in it. I was recently looking at some clashed coins in the 1921 date and came across one rather interesting. First of all, I should point out that strong clashing on coins is not generally found in the 1921 coins. There are a few here of there, but they're known much more for their impressive cracks and breaks due to how long the dies were used in 1921.

This particular 1921-S caught my eye because at arms length it looked like it was fairly strongly clashed. When I got it under my scope, I noticed much more than I had anticipated. This coin is clashed several times on the reverse(which isn't all that uncommon). What makes this coin unique for the date is that those multiple clashes seen created letter transfer on the obverse at the neck multiple times. This is certainly an interesting find as multiple letter transfers are rather rare in any date. Typically this is because multiple clash marks tend to bang out predecessors. To have a coin with multiple transfers, it likely didn't last long before they started to get overwritten or worn out. For a 1921-S, it's the only one I'm aware of.

I received a new VAM designation for this coin: 1921-S VAM-21B. With my scope, I can see at least 3 (straining can see all 4) letter transfers at the neck. Leroy Van Allen only saw 2 strong enough to be listed. Regardless, this is a very interesting variety and due to its general rarity...it is certainly one I'll keep.

7587.jpg

See more journals by Sentry02