• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Doilie. . .

10 posts in this topic

PCGS holder that is.

According to Condor's PCGS slab genealogy, the 'doilie' pattern (for the slab inserts) were only used during December of 1989. This brings to mind several questions, such as:

During the early years of the TPG (1989), how many total coins would you think were originally slabbed with this type of holder? Remember we are talking about a single month which has lots of holidays.

What would you estimate the surviving population (of that single month's slabbing efforts) to be today?

I know that ATS the folks pay premiums for the doilies and I believe there is someone who has (or had??) a running population for doilie holders.

Any examples or stories about doilie holders?

Andy

101956.jpg.5b39ccf43a8ce415e3708bba12d3f48b.jpg

No history but let me be the first to say congrats...they are highly desirable and yes they bring a premium price everytime one is sold on say ebay or B/S/T. I have owned a few and wish I held onto them.... :frustrated:

It is really hard to say. During the first couple years the number of pieces slabbed per month was much lower than today Early on they were doing 20 to 40 thousand coins a month By the time they got to the doilies we had just passed through a major bubble in the market and dealers had been sending in coins hand over fist. But this had aso caused a four month or more backlog and they were just reaching the three million coins graded. I would say they were probably doing 50 to 70K a month at the time.

But the following month they came out with the new one piece design with the green label and after the counterfeiting scare that was the slab that everyone wanted. The doilie was also "odd" and unlike anything PCGS had done before. The initial attrition rate on this slab was horrendous (Just like the Black NGC) and they were cracked and sent back for reslabbing. Then of course in the later years when everyone felt that "the old slabs were more conservatively graded" everything from before 1995 (and later 1999) started heading back in for attempted upgrading. This wiped out many more. How many still exist? I think there are probably less than two thousand of them, and it would not surprise me if there was less than one thousand. I would say they are more common than the Black NGC of which I think there may be between two and four hundred. Mainly because with a lot of looking you can still find a doilie, but finding a Black NGC is practically impossible today. In PCGS probably the only thing tougher than a Doilie is a Regency slab.

The only doily I have in my collection was acquired back in 1999 prior to the plastic madness of recent times. Back then the idea of paying a big premium for a type of holder was absurd. I still like the coin a whole lot. Very clean but won't upgrade as it is a bit soft. I guess the fact that it resides in a doily has now become an added bonus and an upgrade of sorts. ;)

1937-D%20OREGON%20LABEL%20PCGS%20MS66.jpg

1937-D%20OREGON%20OBV.jpg

1937-D%20OREGON%20REV.jpg

Then if you want an interesting challenge, try finding a Sample slab doilie. A Sample for a slab design that was almost immediately discontinued. You have to think, how many of these did they produce (hand to be a lot less than the production variety) and how many shows did they do during the month the doilie slab was in production? Because after they dropped the doilie they probably would not have continued handing out the doilie samples.

Then if you want an interesting challenge, try finding a Sample slab doilie. A Sample for a slab design that was almost immediately discontinued. You have to think, how many of these did they produce (hand to be a lot less than the production variety) and how many shows did they do during the month the doilie slab was in production? Because after they dropped the doilie they probably would not have continued handing out the doilie samples.

I own a MS64 1964-D Roosevelt sample doilie. Needless to say, it's fun to have been GIVEN one for free way back when. Conder101 do you have any idea about how much it is worth? Last I heard tell it was about $40. The good Lord willing, I have zero interest in selling it, as it is fun to own/show.

I own a MS64 1964-D Roosevelt sample doilie. Needless to say, it's fun to have been GIVEN one for free way back when. Conder101 do you have any idea about how much it is worth? Last I heard tell it was about $40. The good Lord willing, I have zero interest in selling it, as it is fun to own/show.

I bet you would get hundreds of dollars for it (not kidding).