• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Clipon goes to the Thrift Store posted by Captain Clipon

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

An unexpected solution to aesthetics problem.

I have two things to admit;

1. I bought my first certified coin only about a year ago.

2. I like to shop at Thrift stores.

Wow, I am glad I got that off my chest.

Seriously, though, one thing I am pretty good at is using common things in uncommon applications.

I am always on the lookout for nice notebooks at thrift stores. My first was a green denim thing that was bullet-proof and passingly presentable. I keep my 2X2 raw coins in them. I enjoy looking over my coins on occasion, and that is the way my dad kept them when I was a kid. Nostalgia is a big part of Numismatics, by nature. I think you would agree.

I have 4 or 5 notebooks that are dedicated to my Kennedy set or my Lincolns... But when I started collecting certified coins all I saw for storage was those coffins, boxes, whatever they are called. I simply didn't like them.

The solution came when I was at my favorite Thrift store and found yet another notebook. Looking inside, I found that it was full of those baseball card holders. You know, those 8.5X11 things that hold 12 cards. The light bulb went on and I ran it back up to the front and bought it along with the water pump that I was going to use in my aquarium.

Sure enough, the Certified holders fit in those baseball card sleeves. All I had to do was allow the plastic to stretch slowly and I had a unique way to store my certified coins in a way that I could enjoy them without going through a box.

I keep looking for notebooks and I have several that are real leather! You would be surprised what people get rid of!

I hope that you aren't yawning right now, saying to yourself. "Been there, done that". It was an aha moment for me and I hope it gives you pause.

Use common things to uncommon purposes.

Captain Clipon, here to save the day!

See more journals by Captain Clipon