• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

???Standing Liberty Quarter???

8 posts in this topic

Please, help!

Yesterday, a dealer tried to sell me a raw 1918 S Standing Liberty Quarter. It is in a 2X2 cardboard holder and marked "gem, 80% full head". He wanted $900 for it and was literally insulted and angered when I questioned the justification of the pricetag. I was diplomatic, and as a novice desired to learn why such a huge premium was placed on the coin. He stated that he would grade the coin as a ms-64, yet the "Red Book" value for ms63 is $300. I understand that a full head specimen will bring a large premium but does a 80% full head triple the price? Under 10X magnification, the hairline is weak.

Please, give me feedback on this issue for I am truly puzzled at both the desired price and the dealer's reaction to a sincere question.

I personally don't think that a novice should consider paying the better part of a thousand dollars for a raw "mint state" coin. If the coin was really worth what he is asking he probably would have sent it in for grading. Just my view after having some bad experiences. I know there are lots of inconsistencies and problems with even NGC and PCGS grading, but for the most part it at least gets you in the ballpark of a proper grade.

He's a coin dealer and he feels that his coin is worth that. That opinion really doesn't matter. The question is, do you feel that its worth that.

I looked up the 1918 Standing Liberty on Coin World's online Trends. A 1918 SL Quarter in MS64 is listed at $650. The same coin with the FH designation is listed at $8000!!! Now this dealer states that his coin is 80% FH, but 10% FH or 80% FH is still not considered FULL HEAD Quarter. Do you feel that the coin you looked at is worth the extra $$$$. Only you can answer that.

Exactly. As a novice, I didn't feel comfortable paying such a huge premium for a coin with so many variables. An 80% full head is by no means the same thing as a full head so how can someone pro-rate it?

Anyone know what a 1918 S ms 64 80% full head would actually be worth?

Here is one on eBay that did NOT sell:

eBay 1918-S

Here is a PCGS 63 Full Head that sold on TeleTrade for $1,200: 1918-S

I didn't check Heritage but they have a good database of prices realized.

I would not buy a raw coin for more than a couple bucks unless I was expert enough to know for sure what NGC would grade the coin as well as knowing how much I could sell it for.

victoreasley ,

That sounds like way too much money, even if the coin were an MS64 with 80% FH. And, as already stated, there is no need to risk hundreds of dollars on an uncertified coin of that type.

Many Standing Liberty Quarters that have not received the FH designation, have nearly full heads and many of those sell at non-FH levels, without any regard to the published FH prices. In general, you shouldn't pay a premium over a non-FH price for a non-FH coin. And, again, don't spend hundreds of dollars on a coin that hasn't been graded by one of the major grading companies (translation - NGC or PCGS).

If truly up to current market standards for MS64 quality, that coin would be worth at

least $550-600. The pop in 64FH is not much different from a 65 flat head. A 63FH is even rarer than the 64FH! Based on that I see no reason to afford a big premium to this date in 64 grade. A value of $900 seems several hundred dollars high. And the odds of that raw coin being a 64 are very slim indeed. Chances are it is no better than a $300 coin as you first surmised. Welcome to the coin biz!

roadrunner1

I sincerely appreciate all of the feedback on this subject! I was truly perplexed but you all came through. This is an outstanding forum which serves to educate and enlighten the numismatist regardless of experience!

.....if it was a 100% full head then.....

.....and if a frog had wings then it wouldn't bump its butt when it jumps.