• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Last question for now

4 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about late 20th century anomalies. I'm vague on what they are,but I'm thinking silver two sided cameo's of Mercury dimes or some other newer design denominations in Proof like or even DMPL. I'd really like to snag a real proof coin or two for good prices but there you go.How and where from?. I'd like to put together something different and desirable but not knowing what the coins could be,I'm at a loss.And once I start or tell what I'd be looking for,the big pockets could shut me down easily.I'd really like to put together trustworthy peorple looking out for the other guy as well as himself.Honestty among coin dealers.what a concept,right? Any ideas out there?Please, I'd like to cover a new niche,whether exotic or not. what say you? Lay it on if you think I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person It really could work if we all trust each other..Thanks,Peter

well this is not late 20th century but i like the pre 1792 coins that actually circulated in the american colonies be it a mass half or large cent fugio cent or lion dollar

a 2011 red book will fill you in nicely of what is available and in many differing price ranges

of course get coins even if lower grade with good color and surfaces or in other words good looking eye appealling coins even if lower grades and i think you can never go wrong

another series that is extremely sleeper and under appreciated is halfcents and there are many available in decent circulated grades $50 and under 1833 and up to 1857

also braided halr large cents in decent circ grades $50 and under

Michael has a good suggestion there. The half cents are "exotic" in their own right, the classic and braided hair types are available in better grade at reasonable prices, and in the braided hair series only two of them have a mintage over 100K. And many of them are even scarcer than that because many of them were still in the mint when the series was discontinued in 1857 and they were melted down instead of being distributed.

Other than the proof only issues the only one that is really any trouble is the 1811. It can be had reasonably in lower grade but everything else is doable in XF or better. They are also short sets with just eleven classic heads and eight braided hair half cents. If you want to expand them ou cn even do the die varieties There is only one tough 1809 and of course you will have to have two 1811's but even those can be had without going to the poorhouse

Great, I think I've talked myself into it..

The 1809 C-4 R.3 Classic Head Half Cents are hard to find above VF grades. NGC has only graded a total of 6 with the highest graded being a AU-58. The zero of the date is repunched so there appears to be a circle within the zero. It is often seen in the late die state so that in grading, allowances are made for the worn dies. This NGC graded 1809 C-4 is graded AU-55 and is a late die state. A hub was used to punched the head. This hub has a defect which appears on a number of of obverses. There is a line from the throat across the bust at an upward 45 deg. angle and terminates in the hair to the right of the ribbon.

968895_Full_Obv1.jpg

968895_Full_Rev1.jpg