• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heading to NYC in November - any good coin/note exhibits?

8 posts in this topic

I'm heading to NYC in October or November for business/fun and looking for some insight on any coin/note exhibits or good places to look for coins/notes to purchase. Did the D.C. visit in 2006 - Treasury, etc - not sure if NYC has anything equivalent.

Thanks in advance!

The American Numismatic Society is located in NYC. If you are interested in a particular area, you might find their archives useful. Possibly, you might be able to arrange to look at their collection though I do not know how that works because of security reasons.

For dealers, Stacks is located on West 57th St in Midtown Mahattan. Scott Travers is also there but I believe he only acts as an agent. There are many other dealers but I do not recall the names.

You should definitely consider the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Their regular display is outstanding, as is the building itself. If you sign up far enough in advance, you can take the tour of the gold vault. (I was able to walk into the regular display a couple of years ago without making an appointment - just check their website to see what you need to do now.)

The ANS is also worth a visit. Make an appointment and ask to see certain coins -you'll be amazed at what they pull out of the vault for you. Security at the ANS is tight - make an appointment in advance; you don't need to be a member.

Stack's is what it is - you can search the threads ATS to see what others have written. I've not found visits there to be worthwhile.

I don't think there are any other shops in NYC worth visiting.

If you can travel outside of the City to the metropolitan area, there are several worthwhile shows - just let me know the exact dates you'll be there.

You should definitely consider the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Their regular display is outstanding, as is the building itself. If you sign up far enough in advance, you can take the tour of the gold vault. (I was able to walk into the regular display a couple of years ago without making an appointment - just check their website to see what you need to do now.)

The ANS is also worth a visit. Make an appointment and ask to see certain coins -you'll be amazed at what they pull out of the vault for you. Security at the ANS is tight - make an appointment in advance; you don't need to be a member.

I will try the NY Fed and ANS sites this week - I believe I'm far enough out there with time, it is looking like a November trip. I would rather just look at coins/notes anyways and save my $ for food...

If you go to stacks, about 6 blocks away is the Sherman statue in central park, you might see a statue by Augustus Saint-Gaudens that reminds you of a coin!

Signed up on-line for both NY Fed tours and have time confirmations. Also visited the ANS site too (joined while I was there). Nice to find out that the ANS has two nice displays that rotate the NY Fed.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions - I also have the Lego Store on my to do list...