• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VAM help

6 posts in this topic

Since I am pretty much VAM illiterate, can anyone help with the VAM for this 1891 New Orleans Morgan?? I'm not so concerned about the grade, but if you'd like to include it in your guesses, you're more than welcome to do so :)

1891OMORGANOBVandREVVAM.jpg

Hi Chris. I was thinking VAM 15-A, but was looking for a second opinion. There is also doubling on the obverse as well. Sine you're the resident VAM expert & my go to VAM guy, do you think I have an R-7 ?

The VAM-15A looks like a good possibility since the die crack from the tip of the lefthand wreath through the right wing and the "S" to the rim is present. What is confusing is that I don't see the die crack with considerable metal displacement over the "ED" on yours, but at the same time, I don't see the die crack from the "E" and over the "S" in STATES on the plate photo.

Don't put too much stock in the R-values. Many of them were pretty much subjective guestimates.

Chris