• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got a package in the mail yesterday and....

17 posts in this topic

Well, I guess it was a bit of a rough ride. It came from overseas and there were probably 10 to 15 slabs in the package. But none fared the worse for the trip than this one. It's an old no line fatty. The coin is nice. What do you think should be done with it? Reholder, sell as is? Other? Gimme your thoughts.

100709.jpg.30d3435b0dc8974d9fe80ff885aa2368.jpg

100710.jpg.cf12fb7c68986c07df48b7dff2cd5556.jpg

100711.jpg.e0f42baad7c8f693c2fb94513cc65797.jpg

100712.jpg.4a8c15166a5e5bc891e559675636ebdb.jpg

I would keep it as is. I have a OGH with a chip, as well as a no line fatty. Granted, they aren't quite as serious as that, but I would rather have the no line fatty. Some people might be concerned that the coin had been tampered with, so if you are going to be reselling soon you might want to consider that.

sorry for this it would ruin my day

but

it is still a no line fatty and also a great PQ eye appealling peace dollar

this peace dollar is much more scarce than its common date cousin the morgan dollar in my 65 and this peace dollar when i first saw it looks 65+ with GREAT eye appeal

since it is on the edge and did not break across the coin

this is a good thing

leave it in the fatty slab

i would give the broken part some sort of secure, tight shrink wrap and let it as it

of course not passing over the coin part of the slab

I would think if your keeping it, keep as is. If you plan on selling, I would consider a reholder. A potential buyer might have an issue paying going rates for that much damage. If it was in an OGH like a GSA, I would keep as is, no matter what.

Nice looking "65".. Can you share a full front and back photo?

Chet

being in the holder so long and is still white i like it as it looks unmessed with and has a good skin to it and has not changed in this older holder proving it is stable and unmessed with

so i really think it should be left as is where is

i happen to like the coin and older slab together!! (thumbs u

Overseas

I've purchased a lot of medals from Europe, and I always got a little antsy before the packages arrived. It seems as though so many Europeans have a different mindset when it comes to packaging and shipping coins & medals. Little, if any, consideration is given to protection, even though it may be an overseas shipment. Once, I had a shipment of a half-dozen medals arrive in a small, flimsy cereal box. On other occasions, the (bare) medals have been taped to a scrap piece of paperboard and stuck in an ordinary envelope.

Chris

It's actually a coin that I'm going to be selling for someone else... does that make a difference? I should have stated this earlier.

I would have it reslabbed, but that is because I only see the slab as protection, etc. for the coin. It adds very little value to me, and so I would much rather it be aesthetically pleasing. Also, I really like the new NGC holders. :)

I have had a coin re-holdered only once. The charge for the actual re-holdering is small. You can have it reholdered without re-assessing the grade. Just make sure that this is the case. Specify it..

If you are planning on reselling it then it definitely needs to be done. I was looking on E Bay at some 1903 O Morgans. One seller showed the back and the front. The coin did not look MS65 to me as designated on the front of the holder,however, the certification number was good. The coin looked really bad. On the reverse side picture of the holder the entire top part of the holder was torn away and there was just a rectangular hole.

My first inclination was that an XF 1903 0 with possible details could have been put in the hole and then a picture was taken. This may or may not be true. I just passed on it. If you are going to see then some prospective buyers might not consider it.

It's actually a coin that I'm going to be selling for someone else... does that make a difference? I should have stated this earlier.

If I sent you a coin and the older generation slab was mildly damaged in transit and then you had the coin reholdered without my permission you would then own the coin outright.