• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liberty Cap Large Cent - unreadable date

11 posts in this topic

Just a general question - and would LOVE several opinions!

I have a Liberty Cap (1793-1795) with a very readable lettered edge, though the face and reverse are not great.

In general, does this coin sell for MORE or LESS if it has the readable lettered edge?

Will appreciate ALL responses!!

First of all, welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

The edge of large-cents tends to hold on to the lettering long after the two faces wear away. In fact, some large-cents are blank, yet one can still read the edge.

Got any pics?

If you could supply pictures we might be able to determine the date. The 1793 coins are distictive, and if there is much left on the reverse, we might even be able to figure out a Sheldon number, although that would be a stretch.

If you can't read the date chances are that it is probably a 1794 (several varieties have weak dates) but there is a good chance if you can post a picture that like Bill says possibly even a chance on determining the variety number.

In general, does this coin sell for MORE or LESS if it has the readable lettered edge?

i dont think lettered edge cents sell for more because of the edge lettering being visible in most all cases unless for some reason the lettered edge needs to be seen to determine if it is a rare variety based on the edge

as if the edge of an lettered edge cent is totally obsqured you can still tell it is a lettered edge cent by the thickness of the coin

In my experience, the coin can be in very low grade and still have a very readable edge. Here's my example of my 1794. I was hoping for a FR-02 but got the genuine label. The image is of many pictures cropped to show the coin on one single plate.

14720973O.jpg