• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Lincoln Medal by Victor D. Brenner that inspired the Lincoln cent

9 posts in this topic

There were two works by Victor David Brenner that have been said to have been the inspiration of the Lincoln cent. One is the Lincoln plaque, and the other is this medal. There is a story that Brenner showed one of these medals to Theodore Roosevelt during a time when the President was posing for a Brenner medal. Upon seeing it Roosevelt was inspired to push for legislation that resulted in the Lincoln cent.

I recently acquired this in a token a medal auction, and I have to confess that this is the first example of this piece that I have seen in person. The obverse is very close to the bust of Lincoln that appears on the cent.

The reverse is wonderfully symbolic of Lincoln’s presidency. It shows a lone eagle standing a cliff above a raging ocean of violence and chaos with rays of hope filtering in from the sky above. The words, “Preserve Protect Defend” appear in the left field. Many people believe that this piece was Victor D. Brenner’s masterpiece. Here is a quote by Frank Higgins that appeared in the February 1909 edition of

"The reverse of the medal in question exhibits a quality of medallic achievement which is beyond anything we have so far seen in plastic art ... This more than a medal. It is both a painting and a poem in metal."

The records show that the mint struck 120 of these medals in bronze in 1908, which explains why this piece seldom is available.

LincolnbyBrenO.jpg

LincolnbyBrenR.jpg

The reverse of that medal, would have been a much better starting point for the 2011 Lincoln reverse than what was released for 2011, and quite appropriate too.

The reverse of that medal, would have been a much better starting point for the 2011 Lincoln reverse than what was released for 2011, and quite appropriate too.

Good point.

I have never seen one of these in person. Great piece.

The few I have seen images of were no where near as nice as this one.

There are some round Lincoln plaques that use the same obverse design.

Really cool stuff.

Bill, that is a lovely medal. Wonderful design and in splendid condition. You are lucky to have it. Thanks for sharing.

Lance.