• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

low-end coin price crash? posted by Thane

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Is this a leading indicator for a double-dip recession?

Bullion prices are strong. High-end coins are still setting new records. But lesser coins are going for next to nothing.

I was watching a few coins on Ebay last weekend. Some NGC-slabbed, modern Lincoln Memorial Cents in MS went for about 15% of their Numismedia value. (I didn't bid, maybe that's why!)

Check out this live auction from last week (http://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog.asp?aid=29454). I don't have a 2011 blue book yet, but some apparently OK coins went for WAY below 2010 blue book. Check out the Indian Head cents and the 1913-S Type II Buffalo Nickel!

If only high-end coins are worth slabbing, ooh-EEE am I gonna have to change my slabbing strategy. I was hoping my Lincoln Memorial project could keep its value. Well, I've got some potential top-pop 1c ready to grade, but a lot of MS 66-ish that may have to wait ...

I did get my recent submission back in the mail finally. (USPS took almost two weeks to deliver, I was getting nervous.) Recent Heritage auctions have gone for full-value Numismedia - that's also why I chose to sumbit these coins. You can plainly see why this 1859 Indian Head is XF - it's in my new small cent type set.

7484.jpg

See more journals by Thane