• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lowball or circulated registry sets

15 posts in this topic

If you are referring to the equivalent of the PCGS "Everyman Sets", to my knowldege, there are none at NGC.

The PCGS sets were covered in a prior thread here, though you may not have seen it. I consider the concept completely absurd. I see no problem collecting anything and everyone should do as they please. Having a competition for that is another matter entirely. I see no point to it at all. Someone either has the "best" collection or they do not and awarding a "winner" for something else is nonsensical. It is simply a gimmick PCGS uses to get people to spend money on grading fees instead of buying coins.

If you are referring to the equivalent of the PCGS "Everyman Sets", to my knowldege, there are none at NGC.

The PCGS sets were covered in a prior thread here, though you may not have seen it. I consider the concept completely absurd. I see no problem collecting anything and everyone should do as they please. Having a competition for that is another matter entirely. I see no point to it at all. Someone either has the "best" collection or they do not and awarding a "winner" for something else is nonsensical. It is simply a gimmick PCGS uses to get people to spend money on grading fees instead of buying coins.

Actually PCGS also has a lowball set where PO1 is the highest grade.

I see no problem collecting a type set and collecting low ball coins if that is all you can afford is alright. Wanting them in a Registry set is absurd. Why would you expect a reward for the worst set?. On what basis would you compete if others had a low ball set?You would just get the points or no points and you would put them in the regular registry. You are correct in that they just want the grading fees and why would you spend more for grading then the coin is worth?

Your post includes the same sentiments as mine except that I did not make one other thing clear.

I consider it a waste of money to pay grading fees for coins that cost less than the amount of the fee. And there are probably few to no other collectors on this board who place a bigger importance on the financial aspects of collecting than I do. But I know that some people do it even though I do not and that is their choice.

What makes no sense is for a collector to "compete" for the worst set. For the comic collectors and people on this board, that is a page taken out of Bizarro World. It is backwards. It is the equivalent of "winning" by losing. Its a ridiculous but perhaps clever ploy for PCGS to do it but I consider it better that NGC has not stooped to that low.

From the collectible standpoint, I do not understand this thinking at all. As with most other collectors, I do not have the money to buy all the coins I wish I could nor to buy them in the level of preservation I would always like.

What I try to do though is to set my collecting goals consistently with my financial resources. I think most collectors do that though it seems that most collectors are more flexible in what they buy than I am.

I would far prefer to have fewer and better coins, even if not in high grade, than to have a bigger collection of the worst coins I could find with most of my collection expenditures spent on plastic.

I was not refering to the Everyman sets. I was refering to circulated or pocketpiece coins that grade PO01 or FA2 at NGC. I like pocketpiece commemoratives and had them in a set before the Lowball sets came along. Each person has their own reason for collecting. Personally I enjoy my FR02 Hawaiian more than I would enjoy an MS67 one. Everything in collecting does not revolve around money and how much you can make off of a coin.

You obviously did not read my posts because I never did say collecting revolved solely around making money. I was criticizing the concept of a competition as you describe it. Not everyone uses the Registry to compete and win, but its the primary reason why the TPG created it in order to drive submission volume But in this instance, the concept of competition is nonsensical and I stand by my prior comments. If you want to use the NGC Registry, you can do so in the Signature Sets.

The Registry is all about enjoying your pastime.

If there is pleasure to be found in locating problem free, well worn coins then I say have at it! If there is added contentment in having them slabbed and formulating a Registry set with your little treasures, knock yourself out!

Especially among Commemoratives where many were not minted to be circulated.

As David Hall is quoted as saying, "Have fun with your coins".

Anything outside of enjoyment is vanity.

Wow, a quote from homerunhall and some completely unwarranted attacks on a new forum member. I feel like I am on the CU forum right now. :tonofbricks:

If you were referring to my posts, you were not reading them either. I never did criticize (much less "attack") what this collector or anyone else collected and never have. I was criticizing the concept of the type of competition that was the original subject of this thread. If he or anyone else wants to display his coins in the Registry here as a signature set, that's his business or anyone else's. But awarding a "winner" for that concept does not make any sense and I stick by those comments. If you disagree with that, you are free to do so.

If you were referring to my posts, you were not reading them either. I never did criticize (much less "attack") what this collector or anyone else collected and never have. I was criticizing the concept of the type of competition that was the original subject of this thread. If he or anyone else wants to display his coins in the Registry here as a signature set, that's his business or anyone else's. But awarding a "winner" for that concept does not make any sense and I stick by those comments. If you disagree with that, you are free to do so.

Whatever dude, all you do is criticize others and their way of collecting coins. You are condescending and arrogant and I will point it out whenever the hell I want to.

The OP is a new member of the forum who had a very simple question. He never solicited your opinion and your post was extremely rude and very much something I would expect to see on the CU forum. Although from you, that type of post is expected.

Let me rephrase my origional question. Do you know who might have lowgrade or circulated registry sets in the NGC Registry? I would like to look at them. I would also like to hear from collectors of NGC FA2 Commemoratives.

Mark,

Thanks for your input. I had looked at the pop report and noticed 12 or so FA2's and wondered if any of them would show up in a set. I personally had never seen a NGC FA2 until a couple of weeks ago when I bought a FA2 Missouri on Teletrade. No one that I have talked to has seen any either.

Bob

As one of those "new collectors", specializing in 1909-date lincolns,my set's name is "a pennies worth" on the competitive registry. I am really enjoying the hobby. To me NGC is the place to be in today's numismatic world for a person like me. People are very helpful. My certifications have been fair and honest. I seem to get more bang for my coin dollar at the premium level. My initial goal is to get to 100% level in my main aforementioned set. Then to move up by getting rid of the Detail coins, then to move up into MS as much as possible. Sure hope this makes sense to some of the experts in the field. Words of constructive criticism, as well as encouragement, will be greatly appreciated. I have made a lot of the newbie mistakes so far, eg bought big buck coin from mag sight unseen. Then used wrong cert. company. Finding a real respect for coins that make it through either ngc/pcgs. Also understand and appreciate NGC Detail grades some people even collect them..... Thanks FlyingAce (waiting to hear)