• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question (Proof Seated Dollars)

4 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I posted a trivia question. Let me start off with a toughie about my favorite series.

Since this is a toughie, DWL, please feel free to answer!

Here it is:

I have mentioned before that there are restrikes of the proofs dated 1840 - 1850. They share a common reverse die. What are the diagnostics of this important die?

If you get this, I will surely be proud to buy you a drink!

EVP

A quick glance at the Silverman catalog suggests that the original dies (used for all proofs 1840-1850) have two tiny defects near the last A of AMERICA, so I would guess that the restrike reverse die would be identified by not having these defects. I haven't seen enough of these coins personally to say one way or the other, just pointing out what's in the literature.

It is inconclusive that there is only one ``original'' rev die used for the 1840-50 time period. In fact, it is likely that there was more than one. Even if you're correct that there is only one orig rev die known, that doesn't preclude the possibility of unknown dies.

The same Silverman catalog mentioned for the 1840 that the two specimens were also from a previously unrecorded (I think obv) die.

BTW, this question came to me while I was trying to determine why Gary Parietti said that he believes that his 1848 pf dollar is an original. (He doesn't remember why...)

EVP

I see this wasn't so popular of a question after all...

From page 51 of the Heritage Silverman (CSNS, 4/02) catalog, the diagnostics of the so-called reverse restrike die is:

1. Two defects, joined, appear as projections on the right side of the final A in AMERICA (A3).

2. Each of the three elements in the vertical shield stripes extend into the crossbars with the sole exception of the final element in stripe 4.

3. The final element of stripe 1 extends to crossbar 3.

EVP