• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FSH thru 7/3 - F & Key XF buffalo nicks AND Early Jefferson Proofs AND 8 Reales

4 posts in this topic

Hi All - This is a peculiar mix of coins. I'm asking only what I've paid for the coin but WILL CONSIDER ANY REASONABLE OFFER! :) If you need to think PayPal, then please add 3%. The 8 Reales and Jefferson proofs are slabbed NGC and PCGS (respectively), while the buffalo nickels are raw but 3 have the PCGS/NGC inserts that came with them.

Photos are available upon request but I'll try to post some soon. Hoot

8 Reales

In all three cases below, NGC net graded for hairlines. While I know that sounds bad, in every case, these are quite difficult to see with the naked eye, and each piece is quite eye appealing.

1825 Zs AZ Mexico 8 Reales, XF details, NGC. This is the first year of issue for the Liberty Cap and Rays at the Zacatecas Mint. This piece is white but has a mild tonig that has begun to evenly appear on all surfaces. First year of issue pieces are hard to find, especially with this much detail and appeal. $240

1834/3/2 Do RM/RL Mexico 8 Reales, XF details, NGC. This coin is exquisitely pretty, with dark toning at the rims and a gunmetal gray across the surfaces of the obverse and reverse. I truly do not know why this coin was net graded, as it appears to be originally toned and has very minimal marks for an XF piece. With a 10 power loupe, a person can pick out a well-toned hairline in a couple of discrete spaces but it's quite in keeping with an XF grade without the net. $115

1840/30 Go PJ Mexico 8 Reales, AU details, NGC. This coin, as far as I can detect with a 10x loupe, has one hairline, which is old and difficult to tell from other contact marks on the obverse. I thought the net grade was unnecessary for this piece, as I thought so for the last. The coin was likely dipped a long time ago, as the centers are bright, but the coin has re-toned quite naturally and has some nice colors at the rims and in some of the devices. $89

Buffalo Nickels

1913-S Type 2, formerly XF45 PCGS (comes with insert). This is a very nice gray example of this key date. Surfaces are totally original, toned slightly darker at the edges than in the centers, as if from an album of many years. The details are excellent on the obverse and good on the reverse, but with some weakness just at the tip of the horn. $616

1916-S, My Grade: AU55. A bright and pretty coin with very modest circulation wear,, obverse and reverse. Very mild orange-yellow toning onn the obverse and reverse with some blue toning on the rims of the reverse from about 6 to 9 o'clock with hints elsewhere. Some weakness of strike in the head of the bison and at its shoulder, as is typical for the issue, but not flat. $94

1919-S, formerly XF45 NGC (comes with insert). A very well detailed piece for the issue, with an even strike obverse and reverse. The patina is naturally gray, as expected for a circulated buffernick. $268

1920, formerly AU58 PCGS (comes with insert). This coin has the apperance of an uncirculted piece with only the hints of circulation - perhaps a trip through the till one or two times. A really pretty coin with great luster. $80

1921-S, My Grade: F12. A realy nice example of this piece, with gray surfaces and details every bit in keeping with a TPG-graded piece. No dings or gouges, just honest wear. $130

1924-S, My Grade: F15+. Another great coin with gray surfaces and nice details for the issue. Evenly struck, obverse and reverse, and nothing but honest wear. $140.

Jefferson Proof nickels

1939 Proof Jefferson 5 cents, PF67 PCGS. Steps of 1938. This coin is utterly original in its patina, exceptionally well preserved, and also shows a mild, but distinct, cameo contrast on the obverse portrait of Jefferson. The appearance of cameo in any of the devices for this year is quite uncommon, and signals an early strike. This coin is quite exceptional overall. I purchased this coin as a "PQ" coin from Heritage at a time they used to use the designation to indicate a pick of Jim Halperin. $575

1942 Type 1 PF67 PCGS. A brilliant proof, with lavender and blue hues, highlighted with mildly sunset orange centers to both the obverse and reverse. The state of preservation is high, and the coin is visually dazzling; positively one of the pretties pieces I've seen for the issue. Excellent detail throughout. $200

SOLD 1939 Proof Jefferson 5 cents, PF67 PCGS. Steps of 1938. This coin is utterly original in its patina, exceptionally well preserved, and also shows a mild, but distinct, cameo contrast on the obverse portrait of Jefferson. The appearance of cameo in any of the devices for this year is quite uncommon, and signals an early strike. This coin is quite exceptional overall. I purchased this coin as a "PQ" coin from Heritage at a time they used to use the designation to indicate a pick of Jim Halperin. $575

Hoot

These two are unavailable for now. Back to PCGS for the holder game! I'll re-post them with their *new* grades whenever they return :/. Hoot

1913-S Type 2, formerly XF45 PCGS (comes with insert). This is a very nice gray example of this key date. Surfaces are totally original, toned slightly darker at the edges than in the centers, as if from an album of many years. The details are excellent on the obverse and good on the reverse, but with some weakness just at the tip of the horn. $616

1919-S, formerly XF45 NGC (comes with insert). A very well detailed piece for the issue, with an even strike obverse and reverse. The patina is naturally gray, as expected for a circulated buffernick. $268

SOLD1840/30 Go PJ Mexico 8 Reales, AU details, NGC. This coin, as far as I can detect with a 10x loupe, has one hairline, which is old and difficult to tell from other contact marks on the obverse. I thought the net grade was unnecessary for this piece, as I thought so for the last. The coin was likely dipped a long time ago, as the centers are bright, but the coin has re-toned quite naturally and has some nice colors at the rims and in some of the devices. $89