• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1 $ 1851 gold coin

15 posts in this topic

It is a very interesting counterfeit, and does have some significant financial and collectable value.

Are you interested in selling?

Please James, don't feed the animals. Buying and bidding up counterfeits like this only encourages the bad guys.

It is a very interesting counterfeit, and does have some significant financial and collectable value.

Are you interested in selling?

Please James, don't feed the animals. Buying and bidding up counterfeits like this only encourages the bad guys.

Bill, what you say is true! However, I am pretty certain this is an old counterfeit, and the crook(s) who struck it are likely long departed from this earth.

Since I have no knowledge on 1851 gold dollars, would someone explain what you see in determining this is counterfeit? I know I am being a bit lazy in not looking one up but you all certainly have seen something which led to a quick and decisive conclusion..

Chet

Since I have no knowledge on 1851 gold dollars, would someone explain what you see in determining this is counterfeit? I know I am being a bit lazy in not looking one up but you all certainly have seen something which led to a quick and decisive conclusion.

First of all, let's assume the coin looks more like the image I've attached below.

Right off the bat, we see a star in the area where a mintmark might occur. Also, the denticles are weird by comparison to a genuine coin. That's more than enough to establish this as a counterfeit piece!

junk7764.jpg

Since I have no knowledge on 1851 gold dollars, would someone explain what you see in determining this is counterfeit? I know I am being a bit lazy in not looking one up but you all certainly have seen something which led to a quick and decisive conclusion.

First of all, let's assume the coin looks more like the image I've attached below.

Right off the bat, we see a star in the area where a mintmark might occur. Also, the denticles are weird by comparison to a genuine coin. That's more than enough to establish this as a counterfeit piece!

junk7764.jpg

And second of all, there is a star on each side of the "1" on the reverse, which do not appear on genuine examples.

As others have stated it is obviously not genuine. But I do not believe it was ever created to be passed off as such. It's non authenticity is as clear as a contemporary reproduction marked with "copy". Could have been used as jewelry as Conder101 suggests or simply as a "gift shop" type reproduction.

I doubt it is solid gold.

I mentioned the use in jewelry because that's where I have seen this specific piece used before. I've seen several sets of earrings using this copy.