• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A neat Flyer Variety for you to view.....

7 posts in this topic

This is an 1857 Flying Eagle that has the reverse clashed with a seated quarter reverse. This one grades roughly VF25-30. If you equate that to the ebay grading scale it would be XF/AU.lol

This variety, usually called Snow8 or S8, is probably just about as difficult to locate as the 20.00 clash. They are few and far between.

As is the case with the other clashes of '57 speculation is that the night watchman at the mint, Eckfeldt, possibly had something to do with some of these pieces.

403352-MVC-004F.JPG

Use this Overlay (courtesy of Lakesammman) to get a better idea about the S8. Look at the N and E of ONE on my picture and the line running down/thru them.

1857S8Overlay.jpg

403352-MVC-004F.JPG.1fd1db388ae49c65f9abd076b9023c9b.JPG

The S8 is a tough coin. If your looking for one in MS it might take a while. It might just be me but it seems that the few AU's I have seen were all cleaned.

Did anyone see the VF S9 on Ebay this weekend go for $178?

Don't know I have ever seen one go at this level.

Larry

Larry I have a nice NGC XF S8.

I recently sold another one of these S8 in F/VF that had some corrosion (of all places) on the middle of the reverse. It went on ebay for Over 200.00!

I saw that S9. It looked like it may have been cleaned at one time with soap and water or something.

There is an S7 ending tonite that is a problem coin but still a VERY tough one to find!

goose3

I was watching your S8.

I think I even bid on it just for the heck of it.

It's good to see these sell now and then in any grade, just to get an idea of values. I thought yours would have brought a couple hundred more.

Larry

These are way cool, even if they might be piece de caprice. Your first image shows clearly the eagle's neck, shoulder area and wing. The overlay, of course, is fantastic. Do you have the entire denomination set?

Cool coin even though it was cleaned.

TomB

Yep, I have them all and believe it or not, the one that I don't have a decent example of is the easiest and cheapest! The 50c clash!!