• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

presidential dollar edge error mintages

presidential edge errors  

51 members have voted

1. 1. presidential edge errors

9 posts in this topic

i have been trying to find a reliable mintage report of the presidential dollar edge errors, especially washington (missing), adams (doubled), and adams (inverted). i also noted that the ebay strike prices for adams have plummetted recently, and could not find why. i presume that the mintage figures turned out to be over 100k, but i really am curious! thanks in advance. also, please answer my poll :) dean

I answered that I collect them in your poll because when the Washington missing edge lettering were discovered I went out and bought 4 NGC MS65's just in case the prices skyrocketed in the future. I don't really collect them, but I bought them just in case.

Currently they are selling for about half of what I paid. Needless to say I will hold on to them longer to see if the perform better.

I bought the Washingtons raw and slabbed them but soon after the market plummeted so I sold all five at a small loss. A reminder about how fickle the market is and how important timing is if you are trying to flip a new release hm I have since avoided the errors.

welcome to the boards dean!!

i would try to get them raw by searching coins from change and the bank and then pick the choicest ones gradewise to send them in to get slabbed for your collection and then keep the highest graded one for your collection

i think this is the best way and will protect you from declining demand if you purchase these coins for big $$$ in high grade slabbed holders

good luck with it

i have been trying to find a reliable mintage report of the presidential dollar edge errors, especially washington (missing), adams (doubled), and adams (inverted). i also noted that the ebay strike prices for adams have plummetted recently, and could not find why. i presume that the mintage figures turned out to be over 100k, but i really am curious! thanks in advance. also, please answer my poll :) dean

I too have observed those Adams Edge Lettering errors plummet in price and since no significant changes have occured population wise, I expect it's soley due to an overall lack of interest.

IMO, the Adams errors are currently way undervalued and given the prices they were bringing, if there was a hoard or stash out there, they would surely have been graded and sold.

I think there is still hope for these, just not today for whatever reason.

thank you for all the posts to date! i am gathering that concensus is that no official mintage estimate is known. i did find a hyperlink ( http://coins.about.com/od/errorcoinsdievarieties/a/edge_lettering_2.htm ), which estimated the washington plain edge 80,000 to 100,000 Philadelphia Mint. regarding adams, i have not even found an estimate! so, please post something should you find it.

for me, i find these pretty interesting, and found one in an icg holder in a miscellaneous box at a local coin show for $4, so, i figured i could not go wrong! it was generically labeled, as "double edge lettering," and is inverted. i look through rolls, too, but have not found any errors on any presidential dollar yet...but i still look, of course :)

dean

There are no OFFICIAL mintage figures for the edge errors. So many of the Washington pieces showed up that they assumed that one tote bin of struck coins was accidentally taken straight from the presses to bagging and not to the edge lettering area. The estimate you see for the number of pieces is from the range of coins typically in a tote bin.

To prevent that from happening again the developed a system that automatically carried the coins from the presses to the lettering area. No more tote bins. After that the number of pieces that missed the edge letters were just the occasional piece that somehow missed the lettering machine. Naturally the number of later pieces was much smaller. But trying to get an accurate estimate of the mintage would be like putting a counter across a busy street, getting the number of cars, and then asking "How many of them were red?"

Why did prices fall? Well the Washingtons probably collapsed because there were just too many on them. As for the others, well after the Washingtons a lot of people decided to try and collect plain edge pieces for all the president, but found the MUCH smaller number produced and possibly in same cases none produced, made them realize they couldn't possibly do it so they just stopped trying. This meant that the demand dropped enough that it couldn't support the prices.

There are no OFFICIAL mintage figures for the edge errors.

I don't think there are official mintage figures for any errors.

Scott