• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS70 contain acid ?

5 posts in this topic

To my understanding MS70 doesn't contain acid , but while playing around with MS70 and brown bronze coin, it turn red, well kind of pinkish actually, similar to what happen with acid, just took way longer time.

Also my hands sour like handling acid. So I guess it is acid after all,

Or may it be a reaction of the ms70 to acetone, or water?

Just to be clear, when I say it turned Pinkish, I mean it like a Man turn white when he die :)

The coin is completely ruined!

So be aware if deciding to play a chemist in your spare time ;)

Does the MS-70 feel slippery? That could indicate that is is a basic solution. Most people have the incorrect idea that something has to be an acid to be corrosive, but a base can also be corrosive. So if it is a base and the copper coin was exposed too long the color could be stripped just like with an acid.

MS70 is very slippery. MS70 is also well known for turning copper to blue and pink colors. It can only safely be used on red copper, and even then, only with extreme caution.

MS70 is alkaline, like bleach. And what happens when you mix an alkaline chemical with fat? You get soap!

MS-70 reacts with the fat in your skin (fingers) to create a thin film of soap. That is why it feels slippery.