• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think caused the marks on this Jefferson?

Do you think it should be in a problem free holder?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it should be in a problem free holder?

39 posts in this topic

"It is graded by PCGS MS65FS" -- the coin? Nope. Total value = 5-cents.

The marks are from banging around in machinery, baggers, counters, etc.

Personally I am surprised anyone would send it in for grading with marks like those.

I think they only did it because it had full steps.

The marks appear to be typical bag marks from handling...the image is about 10X the size of a regular nickel, so the marks appear to be 10X larger than normal, remember that.

Should it be in a 65 F/S, probably not, but the grader saw some value in this coin to assign a 65 F/S and so did the finalizer. I'm torn between 64/65, it's a lock 64 but squeaked a 65.

If it were your coin you'd be a happy camper.

I guess it all depends on the collector' IMO' on this, those cuts' sure look like

bagmarks, an' one of them looks pretty deep. /The rest of the coin, sure looks

like a (lower' Mint-State Strike thou'~ but' I don't think, I'd submit it for slab,

for that reason.... but' again, to each his own,,,,,good luck!

It appears that my request went over like a fart in church.

Huh? (shrug)

A few posts back I asked a question that did not get any responses.

For those who voted no, could you tell us what you think caused the marks?

It should be in a problem free holder because the marks are not that bad. They are the result of contact with other coins or perhaps the reselt from going through a coin handling device.

BUT this coin is not an MS-65. PCGS over graded it, but I'm sure their argument would be that some us discount the grade on some coins because of marks and not wear. I disagree with the opinion.

Tough crowd.

'74-P nickels just don't come much nicer than this. Yes, the three horizontal hits are unfortunate but these are very small. The roughness on the obverse is planchet marking and this looks even more unfortunate to my eye but it is subdued and most modern nickels have at least one severe issue. This one just has two minor issues instead.

I'd put it easily in the top 1% of mint set coins for the date (it is mint set). The date is none too common in rolls. While roll coins come nice sometimes they don't come this nice.

I don't believe this coin is overgraded. I would prefer an example without the planchet scratches but this is just personal preference. A lot of these from that era have superb reverses and a few have superb obverses but finding a nickel with both is a huge task.

We are talking about this coin on cointalk. It is graded by PCGS MS65FS.

JeffersonNickel1974BU.jpg

MS64, but I wouldn't expect it to fetch full price guide value at that grade either.

We are talking about this coin on cointalk. It is graded by PCGS MS65FS.

I'm surprised that you are looking at Jefferson Nickels - are you moving on since you already have an amazing set of Roosies?