• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you really trying to tell me this is natural toning?

19 posts in this topic

looks photo shopped to me. Look at how dull the label is.

I wholeheartedly agree. Not only is the image juiced, but I think it's also had some extra processing done to it. Kinda ridiculous, to be honest.

How is it then that this seller has 100% positive feedback? hm

because collectors that know something know the photo is juiced and dont bid on it. the people that are buying he just tells "well of course a coin is going to look different in hand"

It looks like natural toning and a juiced image to me.

I agree that the obverse appears completely natural (albeit oddly photographed) and I have no problem with it. But the reverse just looks completely unlike anything I have ever seen.

How is it then that this seller has 100% positive feedback? hm

because collectors that know something know the photo is juiced and dont bid on it. the people that are buying he just tells "well of course a coin is going to look different in hand"

I wouldn't say that. I would say the collectors that know something know the photo is juiced and bid according to what we think it will actually look like in hand. I while back I actually was able to recreate his enhancements by playing with photoshop and my own photos. IIRC, the saturation enhancement was 30+ on every coin I purchased from him.

Other than his juiced photos, he really is a good seller with outstanding service. The real problem with his auctions is that he is a member on the CU forum and has a very loyal following who routinely bid on all his coins. I can never seem to win one of his auctions at a reasonable price. Here are the photos of the last coin I won from him and I paid moon money.

His photos:

JeffersonNickel1944-SNGCMS67StarSel.jpg

My photos:

JeffersonNickel1944-SNGCMS67Star.jpg

You have to admit, photo enhancements aside, it is a really nice coin.

A similar coin sold for several thousand in a Heritage auction a couple years ago, except it was a silver eagle. This is most likely artificial toning, but all I can say for sure is it's "questionable." I have seen a number of completely natural toned coins from the 1970s--mostly clad--and because silver is more reactive, I can't completely rule out natural toning here--though I am suspicious.