• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning Question ? posted by Backdraft237

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1998 American Eagle

I have this 1998 American Eagle coin that I have had for sometime put away in a drawer, and when I got it out the other day to consider sending it in to be graded just to add to the collection I noticed that it was really toned, and as I am somewhat a Nubie, my question is does this affect the grading or is this prefered?

I know is probably a matter of taste, but just looking for some info on toned coins if anyone out there has any input it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Troy

7431.jpg

See more journals by Backdraft237

Wow, that is quite a bit of toning for a modern coin, but to answer your question, I don't think toning is supposed to affect the grade. Additionally, in some numismatic circles your coin is highly desirable. The biggest question on submitting it though is if NGC gives your coin a no-grade for artificial toning. Why I think this coin might have that problem is the high level of toning for the age of the coin. I wish I could tell you whether or not NGC will grade the coin. Best wishes on whatever you decide to do.

Gary