• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why MS 62?

6 posts in this topic

When it comes to grading Mint State coins, one can never be sure with photos, BUT looking at this piece, I’d say that it has some cloudy spots in the fields. Those spots tellme that it’s been dipped a few times. All that dipping has impaired the luster. 1881-S dollars come with sharp strikes, bright luster and are very often Proof-like to a degree. Even so if this were another date, I doubt that the grade would be much different. In fact if this coin were dipped another time or two it could end up in a body bag for improper cleaning.

you are right about the photos... never can really judge it... the luster on this coin is just great.... Photos really do not show it... I think I am going to submit it for a regrade... to mabye NGC or ANACS

If this were my coin, I won't spend the money to have it reholdered. 1881-S a common date that sells for modest prices, even in MS-64 or 65. ANACS might give you another point, but I won't bet on it. NGC will probably give you the same grade or you might catch a body bag. Look at the cloudy areas in back of the head and elsewhere. If those really are on the coin, that's why it has that grade. The clean cheek and fields are trumped by the luster.

Graders, dealers and colectors expect 1881-S dollars to be very nice. They won't cut you any slack on them.

Thats just it... The picture really don't do the luster any good.... It has what they call cartwheel luster.... It is just glowing and that is unseen in the photo's