• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The audacity of hope in change

3 posts in this topic

Well, it wasn't really "change", but my 3-year old brought me a small handful of coins she found in the Coin Star machine at our local supermarket (her 10-year old sister has trained her to be a scrounge).

When I first looked at what she brought me, I could swear I saw a silver Newfoundland 5-cent piece in the mix. In a flash I thought I also saw a British Honduras 25-cent piece. How likely would that have been? About as likely as finding a 1935 silver dollar in change.

So what did it turn out to be? She brought two Belize 5-cent pieces, two 25-cent pieces and a dollar coin. When I saw the young portrait of Queen Elizabeth I consoled myself with the thought that at least they were from the 1960s or earlier. They turned out to all be from 2000 or later (I had no idea Belize was still using the old effigy).

Have you ever found something in change or run across a coin that initially looked like a huge find, only to have it turn out to be common?

...When I first looked at what she brought me, I could swear I saw a silver Newfoundland 5-cent piece in the mix...

Cherish the times in life that you get that little numismatic adrenaline rush thinking that you found a rare coin. Even if it turns out to be nothing special at all.

And cherish the memory of your 3-year old handing you the coins and shouting "Daddy Daddy, look what I found for you!"

My son is 23 now and he was more fun than anything at 3. And 4. And 5. Those were the days. I'm glad I videotaped most of it.

Back on topic, I found a diamond and ruby ring on the sidewalk once walking home from work when I was about 30. I sold it for $325 and bought a Commodore Amiga.

The Amiga was a great little computer but in retrospect I should have bought a nice Saint Gaudens instead... :grin: