• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on this coin please. Altered or not?

9 posts in this topic

Opinions please.

cams019.jpg

cams015-1.jpg

cams014.jpg

cams013-1.jpg

cams011-2.jpg

cams007-1.jpg

cams022.jpg

cams023.jpg

Sorry for all of the pictures, but it is a hard coin to photo for me. The face is one of the areas that i do not like the look of. It looks polished and rough, but again, i know little about this coin or its characteristics.

It is extremely reflective. I bought it as a Mint State coin only described as uncirculated condition.

I have it in one of those US 20th century collection holders, but i may send it in someday, but first i would love to hear what you think.

Thanks for your honest opinions, Matt

Terribly, harshly, brutally polished slider - I grade it AU details. Worth maybe $10 if you are lucky. Definitely not worth sending in.

If you cannot tell that has been mistreated, I strongly suggest you read a good deal about cleaned and polished coins before buying any more coins raw. Until you feel comfortable distinguishing them, stick to slabbed only problem free coins.

I don't want to come across as being mean - but you asked for my honest opinion.

Thanks for the honest opinions, and do not worry about being "mean" I asked, i want the truth and yes my eye sight is not good at all. Until I have surgery to remove the cataracts and correct things, i will continue to struggle to see things clearly to say the least.

No hard feelings at all.

One of my favorite sayings to people is "The truth only hurts when you deny it."I accept the fact that i have bought several damaged coins and did not realize it until i have had it photographed and see it on a large screen, with a 30 x magnifier, or my wife says what the...... Even with a loupe i can not see what you may see with plain sight.

Well, i am not going to buy all graded coins, but maybe ill ask for help before i buy things from time to time going forward.

I know even if this coin was in great condition this coin normally can be found very reasonable if not down right cheap, but i have had cheaper coins sent in and slabbed just to keep them looking good as the years go by. This is a hobby for me and cash value, well it is nice, it is not what drives me to buy and keep coins. My wife and i really enjoy looking at them and thinking about who may have held it, what it bought, a gallon of gas, pack of smokes, a shot of whiskey, a full meal, a night of "entertainment", ect.

Thanks again for helping me out. I do appreciate it, even though now i know i bought junk once again. Not all of my buys will be the 52 proof 67cameos.

Take care, Matt

Sorry but the coin has been polished, which given the fact that the 1883 No Cents nickel is very common in AU condition, reduces the value of this coin to a significant degree. Even Mint State examples of this coin are fairly common. Only the Proof coins, given that it is a one year type, are scarce.

polished sorry

i just sold a nice original unc.coin at my coin club meeting last week for $18.00

1883 no cents lib nick