• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Princess

13 posts in this topic

1883 was an interesting year for coins. I just spontaneously picked up my first princess:

1883_OBV_1.jpg

1883_REV_1.jpg

Obviously not the best of examples, but thoughts on a grade? Cleaned?

Also, possibly fake/counterfeit?

The details look really "mushy" to me, which of great concern on small denomination gold like this one.

from the angled blurry photos

and my eyes not being what they used to be

and from my low end computer monitor and computer

i am quite sure this is a commonly used obverse counterfeit transfer die

I compared you coin to photos of genuine 1883 $ 1 gold .

Sorry to say but I agree with the others here that you most likely have a counterfeit coin . The mushy date numbers are a dead give away .

Your coin :

EBAY Item # 220615846866

This is a reputable establishment and they would never knowingly sell a fake item. I spoke to them by phone yesterday and they will honor their return policy.

This is turning into quite an education for me!

Thanks to all who have provided their experience and insight!

This is a reputable establishment and they would never knowingly sell a fake item. I spoke to them by phone yesterday and they will honor their return policy.

This is turning into quite an education for me!

Thanks to all who have provided their experience and insight!

The seller you purchased this coin from sells mostly jewelry and has no expertise when it comes to coins.

The 1883 gold dollar was a low mintage year, and genuine pieces tend to come sharp and nice. The lack of detail in the high points of the design suggest that this coin is not genunine. When counterfeiters make copies, they often lose detail in the high points of the design, and that's what appears to be the case here. Sorry ... :(

OK... I picked up the coin at the post office during lunch. And here are some VERY quick photos before I head out the door:

IMG_5534.JPG

IMG_5538.JPG

IMG_5548.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG

I left the coin in the original packaging to facilitate a return. So, is the verdict the same? Send her back?

Yes. Looking at all of the images you provided, it is evident that there are raised blobs of metal in spots, as well as depressions elsewhere, the odd-looking 3 in the date, etc.

Seeing depressions (i.e., smooth-looking, not scrapes or gouges) and blobs of raised metal just isn't good, especially when looking at a raw gold coin.