• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever Win on E-Bay Accidentally?

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

Have you ever put in a low ball bid on e-bay just to watch the auction but end up winning? I just had that happen to me on this 1874-C German Pfennig which catalogs at $60 in UNC.

I have another 1874-C pfennig in an NGC MS63BN holder I'm planning on selling so I wanted to watch where this coin ended up. To accomplish this I placed a very low bid on the coin and to my surprise and delight I ended up winning the auction. cloud9.gif

Anyone else have this happen to them on either the selling or buying side?

-JamminJ

Can't say I've won anything on E-Bay accidentally but I have gotten some sweet deals. I never bid on something just to watch it. I use the "Watch This Item" and put it into My Ebay" page.

Now you're stuck with TWO of those foreign slugs. Want to borrow my slingshot and shoot some crows with them?

I've never done that, but I have won a Goldberg auction when I bid on the wrong lot number! foreheadslap.gif It was an internet bid and it wasn't cheap, either. Oh well, it's still a nice coin, just one I hadn't planned on winning. crazy.gif

I never bid on something just to watch it. I use the "Watch This Item" and put it into My Ebay" page.

My "Watch This Item" list was already full, I think the max is 30 auctions.

Now you're stuck with TWO of those foreign slugs. Want to borrow my slingshot and shoot some crows with them?

If this were the World & Ancient Coin Forum I'd show you a thing or two! 893naughty-thumb.gif

-JamminJ

I wouldn't consider intentionally bidding on an auction, and then winning it, an "accident" under any circumstances.

You're right, but "unexpectedly" seemed a little weak.

-JamminJ

Something along the same lines... I bid using a coma instead of a period so instead of bidding like 60.55 I bid $6,055.00- or something whacked along those lines.

I didn't edit the bid or retract it but luckily the item closed at a bit under $50.00 and I was the winner. Now, if someone had gone stupid crazy it would have been a race!

My "Watch This Item" list was already full, I think the max is 30 auctions.
Ever heard of the "Delete" button? Duh. Take a little off the plate.

If this were the Weird & Ancient Junk Forum I'd show you a thing or two!

You mean like 650 year old tokens to a dead King for a $1? I'm impressed.

I have lowballed a few bids on Heritage and also on B&M that I have won. It's downright scary at times. I've never been disappointed in those coins, like we were cosmically connected in the first place! laugh.gif

Hoot

I think that the 30 item limit on Items I'm Watching, as well as on Favorite Sellers, is really lame. Thirty is not really that many sellers or items if you do a lot of business on eBay. It seems like eBay would want to bend over backwards to give you every convenience that would help you to spend more money there. It couldn't cost them that much more to store a little extra data for everybody, even times many, many users, especially if it increases sales. That's assuming they store that information for the user...maybe it's even just a cookie on the user's computer, I don't know. If that's the case, why would there be any limit?

Just babbling!

893blahblah.gif

why would there be any limit?

That's a good question, XpipedreamR and I think there might be more than one plausible explanation. The only one I can think of at the moment, however, is that by putting a limit on items, folks might be more likely to put a bid on an item that has no action, simply to mark it. In that way, these items might sell through ebay and ebay would get their cut, whereas if they did not get that bid as a "marker" the item might sell off of ebay and ebay would not see any money. Just a thought. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

JamminJ.

After viewing your 1874-C German Pfennig in person, I'd say you were one lucky dog. That's a great coin.......for a Pffffenning. I still don't know how you sleep at night after stealing that one.

I take back all the mean and rotten things I said.

I'm still going to think them though.