• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1871 Seated Dollar

8 posts in this topic

Would you please look at this dollar and give me an opinion as to grade. Coin is in and old PCGS holder and I will reveal their grade later. Thanks.

9682854O-1.jpg

9682854R.jpg

VF-20, lightly cleaned long ago. I had one years ago that had AU sharpness, but was also lightly cleaned that got a body bag. I sold it to a dealer as soon as I put it out in my case for $500. I told him it's background and we agreed. He said he had a customer was working on a raw type set of moderate cost and that this coin would fit into it.

Coin is a VF35 according to PCGS. One problem with the dollar is that someone messed with the slab surface right over where the obverse shield is and that is why the picture is a little fuzzy. Plus the picture did not transfer well in detail. This is compromized by some indeterminate monkey business in the shield (probably from an old cleaning). Therewise the coin has XF detail.

I do not think that the coin is burnt or smoked, just dirty. The coin needs to soak it in soap and water but I won't chance cracking it just for that.