• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Details Grades

7 posts in this topic

If NGC gives a coin a details grade and let's say the coin is marked " Chop Mark" VF Details on the holder, can the coin have other problems such as being cleaned or scratched or would all the problems be noted on the holder?

I have seen multiple problems listed on the holder. I think it is on a case by case basis.

Thanks! The other day I saw a Trade Dollar marked "Chop Marked" VF Details. The coin looked very much cleaned and was also scratched but it was not noted on the holder. I thought NGC was maybe only putting the most obvious problem on the details holder. I will keep looking.

I have seen multiple problems listed on the holder. I think it is on a case by case basis.

Thanks! The other day I saw a Trade Dollar marked "Chop Marked" VF Details. The coin looked very much cleaned and was also scratched but it was not noted on the holder. I thought NGC was maybe only putting the most obvious problem on the details holder. I will keep looking.

Interesting that they'd list the reason that's obvious on a visual inspection of a picture but they wouldn't list other, more subtle, forms of damage like cleaning and scratching.

with details grades i am sure there can be many numbers of problems but they only got so much room on the slab so they use the most grievious problems

with details grades i am sure there can be many numbers of problems but they only got so much room on the slab so they use the most grievious problems

That's what I'am thinking Michael but I will keep looking.

I have seen multiple problems listed on the holder.

That is true, but tread these dangerous waters with great care, my friends. I have seen a number of holders that did indeed list only a single problem, while multiple problems actually affected the coin.

Sorry to rant again, but the new PCGS "Genuine code" is particularly notorious. They can only list a single code, and some scammers are taking advantage of this, putting coins with multiple problems into such holders, knowing full well that only one of the problems can be called out. I've discussed this before on these boards.

For example, a coin that's tooled, whizzed and artificially toned will be given a PCGS code indicating only one of the problems, not all three. This is why I absolutely will not look at "PCGS Genuine" holder in online auction. I have a deep rooted suspicion that there are many NCS and NGC "details only" coins with multiple problems on their slabs that are being cracked out and dumped on PCGS, knowing that the multiple problems will be boiled down to just "one problem".

Be careful!