• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sometimes coin dealers really tick me off.

11 posts in this topic

Sometime in the past I posted asking for recommendations for dealers to send a want list to. About 3 months ago I emailed my want list to a dealer. Monday, I get his flyer in the mail with the coin in the exact grade I was looking for. Having finished runner-up in two major auctions for this coin, I was willing to bite the bullet and pay more for the coin than I had intended to($1500, his asking price). I sent them an email asking for a picture and reminding them again that this coin was on my want list. By coincidence I called them yesterday to pay for a *coin I had purchased from them on Ebay. Today I go to their site and see the coin was sold. So much for want lists. mad.gif

If it was a popular coin, it was probably on multiple wantlists. Somebody else got it first. I'm guessing they put it on their list/site as a backup in the event the coin got returned for some reason. Additionally, it shows they can get the popular coins and enhances their reputation. Unfortunately, it throws it in your face that you didn't get the coin. frown.gif

I do not understand how businesses fail to understand the concept of customer service. A simple reply to your want list stating that he had the coin, but the it was already sold or already going up for auction would have been a simple gesture that would have ensured you remaining a customer.

So many businesses fail to do the little things to retain their customers.

A while back, when I used Heritage's system to track my coins, I remember that I had a coin that had like 50 people who had listed it on their wantlist (a nasty modern to boot wink.gif ), so I can see why you may not have been contacted.

I have the best of luck with a few key dealers that know that I am willing to pay a bit for PQ pieces, want good solid Type, and can be patient. I don't actually list a "wantlist" at this time, but the guys know me enough to talk me out of a piece that doesn't meet my criteria.

I have a similar experience as Keith's. I've had the best success with dealing with a very small number of dealers who know what I want intimately. (They know because I have much more than an impersonal business relationship with them!)

EVP

Like almost anything else in life, you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket, ie always have a back up or two or three. Suggestion: establish a good relationship with several dealers, auctions houses, etc. and provide them with your want list. Let them "fight" for your business.

Keith- I'm going to guess it was either a PCGS MS66 type one 1976 Ike or a PCGS MS67 1976 Clad Kennedy.

Wherever I went looking for those two coins (back before I closed those Registries) I was following a dozen or so like minded collectors before me.

It was the 1976 Clad Kennedy in MS-67.

I just went through an original roll of 76-D's and couldn't find anything better than MS-65, so I know that those issues are tough.

At the suggestion of the group here I sent the list to three dealers, 1937 proof washington, MS67 or higher. The dealer emailed me today informing me he sold it last week and ask me who I had talked to at his shop. I replied that I had two coins on my list a 36 and a 37, I purchased the 36 from the Bowers auction. So he lost two sales, no biggie, about $3000 worth of business.