• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about those "solid silver" 2010 national parks quarters

8 posts in this topic

HSN is advertising "solid silver" 2010 national parks PR70 ANACS PR-70 sets for $279.95.

First off, the 2010 national parks series are 90% silver, and the mint will sell them for a lot less when released to the public.

HSN also has the clad Proof 2010 quarters for $199.95 Nothing like the US Mint, ANACS and HSN getting together to rip-off the unsuspecting.

Becoming the first one in your numismatic neighborhood to own the new Proof coins can be very hazardous to your financial health. This has been true for as long as I’ve been a collector (since the early 1960s). Wait for all the coins to be released and then buy them. And if you are really patient and are willing to wait a few years, in many cases you can buy them for major discounts. But most of us don’t have the patience to do that.

And yea, if you would like to be finanacially buried in your collection, buy from the Home Suckers Network. :tonofbricks:

HSN is advertising "solid silver" 2010 national parks PR70 ANACS PR-70 sets for $279.95.

First off, the 2010 national parks series are 90% silver, and the mint will sell them for a lot less when released to the public.

HSN also has the clad Proof 2010 quarters for $199.95 Nothing like the US Mint, ANACS and HSN getting together to rip-off the unsuspecting.

Not to defend the US Mint but all they are doing is selling the coins to HSN. The deal is between HSN and ANACS who has been conspiring to sell overgraded cra... err... moderns at an overgraded price to under numismatic educated people.

Caveat Emptor!

Scott

Not to defend the US Mint but all they are doing is selling the coins to HSN. The deal is between HSN and ANACS who has been conspiring to sell overgraded cra... err... moderns at an overgraded price to under numismatic educated people.

You need to leave ANACS out of it as well unless you have evidence that they are deliberately inflating the grades of the coins sent to them by HSN.

And there is nothing wrong with describing the coins as "solid silver". Solid silver does NOT mean pure silver, it means a homogenous composition, in other words it means it is not silver PLATED. I would accept the term "solid silver" for any silver alloy other than billion where the silver content is less than .500 fine.

HSN's inflated prices do not bother me. They have the right to price their items at whatever level they chose. They do have to be careful NOT to call them an investment or to state the buyer will make money on them and they are very good about carefully walking the fine line between legal and illegal language. If the people that buy them do so without comparing prices, that is their problem. I feel more sympathy for the poor dealers who have to later inform the buyers that their purchases are not worth near what they paid for them even a few years later.

never brought anything off of the hsn or qvc because of the over priced stuff. it is thou good for a few good laughs. i totally agree with the last paragraph condor. them are true words

They do have to be careful NOT to call them an investment or to state the buyer will make money on them and they are very good about carefully walking the fine line between legal and illegal language.

They are sort of like car ads... when they have to put a disclaimer at the end of the commercial. It just tells me that what they are saying in the ad is not necessarily true. I agree with what you wrote, Condor. Buyer Beware! I think a lot of folks who buy coins from HSN and that place that sells the presidential coins in the back of Parade magazine are providing a service. Coin collecting is fun, and a lot of folks do it for whatever reason. Lack of knowledge withstanding, the good folks who purchase these are collecting coins. Because the announcer said it is a good buy. They are purchasing what the announcer says it is. Whether it is a good buy or not. But by golly they are collectors and they have a great collection. Starting right at the top of the heap. Sort of like buying the slab and label instead of the coin? Been there and done that. 'cept I do it on eBay! :)