• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw Coins, Raw File Formats posted by Bammer

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Like the Navy, coin collecting is not a job, but an adventure.

I had planned to write this journal entry, or at least parts of it about 2 weeks ago. However, my computer was attacked by viruses, somehow they got on, stopped my anti virus, and I was in danger of losing a lot of stuff and the danger was there of losing identity. So, I turned off my modem, and did a system cleansing and recovery from my recovery drive. Hopefully, I'm safe, but I'm watching bank accounts etc. just to make sure.

Anyway, possibly it was a blessing in disguise. I bit the bullet and did something I was resisting. I went out Monday and bout a digital SLR. I had vowed when I bought my point and shoot digital, I wasn't going to put good coin money against a better camera, but I was up against a brick wall on some of my coin photos. First I should mention I bought a copy of Mark Goodman's book on coin photography (2nd edition). Anyone here who wants to take better photos, I strongly suggest, maybe I should say I STRONGLY SUGGEST, buying this book before you make any camera purchases. When I went into my local camera shop, I was well prepared with questions and I believe I received excellent advice from the shop.

Ok, I have been learning the camera (I still have a long ways to go with it, and I do need to buy a copy stand and good lights), and today I finally shot one halfway decent photo, on the AUTO setting. I'm attaching the photo to this journal entry, as this picture shows me I'm on the right track.

I haven't been just doing photos. I've purchased the Proof and Mint State Jefferson Commemoratives for my set. I also purchased a Canadian $5 silver (I love the white tailed deer on it), a Loon dollar (and started the set of them). Yes, among my other interests I do like coins showing animals. Oh, also purchased the 2010 Koala and added it to my set.

I haven't forgotten my raw sets, 2 Franklins and 1 Walking Liberty was purchased about a month ago, they were the reason I wanted to write part of this earlier.

Well, enough for now, hope you enjoy the photo.

7360.JPG