• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Collectors - Post Your Images

89 posts in this topic

The Barber Thread has had almost 32,000 hits since I started it.

I know there are quite a few fans of Seated coins - so - lets get

some images up for all to enjoy !!!

I'll start with one of my Grandfather's Birthyear coins:

Not sure which image looks better...

1889DimePCGSPR65dual.jpg

1889DimePCGSPR65CAM.jpg

Here's a "with drapery" 1839 to go with Bill's and Boiler's "no drapery" coins.

1839seatedo.jpg1839seatedr.jpg

Confession: I spent years looking a "no drapery" half to match my set and turned down several as being not quite right. Now, even if I did find the right one prices have gone up so much that I wouldn't be able to afford it. :cry:

elbesaar- that proof seated half is stunning! Looks dcam from here? (thumbs u

Thanks for posting it.

I agree, that's a beauty Mike. (thumbs u

Here's a "with drapery" 1839 to go with Bill's and Boiler's "no drapery" coins.

1839seatedo.jpg1839seatedr.jpg

Confession: I spent years looking a "no drapery" half to match my set and turned down several as being not quite right. Now, even if I did find the right one prices have gone up so much that I wouldn't be able to afford it. :cry:

Here is the No Drapaery 1839 half dollar from my collection. Of all of the Drapery versus No Drapery types the difference between the two is least striking on the half dollar.

This coin is a "classic EF-45" coin, but now it's in a holder that gives it a higher (too high IMO) grade. Some collectors say these things are common, but I've never found that to be the case. I bought this one from JJ Teapary over 20 years ago. Yes, I tend to hold on to things until I upgrade them and an upgrade is not in this coin's future.

1839NoDrapHalfDolO.jpg1839NoDrapHalfDolR.jpg

The differences between the Drapery and No Drapery type coins to further than just that piece of cloth that hangs off of Ms. Liberty’s elbow. In the late 1830s I heard the Christian Gobrecht had a falling out with the mint and got canned or left. I’ve never been able to confirm that story in any of my reference books. At any rate a fellow named Robert Ball Hughes replaced Gobrecht and replaced all of his artwork with the Drapery designs. To my eye, Hughes’ art work was inferior to that which Gobrecht did. You can judge from these two dimes:

Gobrecht's No Drapery dime:

1838DimeO.jpg1838DimeR.jpg

Hughes' With Drapery dime:

1842DimeO.jpg1842DimeR.jpg

Great looking coins being posted here.

I've always wanted a nice 1839 No Drapery Half in choice AU.

Also - I love the 1838 Dimes too !!

I posted one of my 1891 Proof Dimes - here's

a duplicate - not as flashy as the last one - but

a bit more of a Cameo:

1891DimePCGSPR64DualLtCAM.jpg