• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unusual California "Gold" Tokens posted by Cal Gold "Token" Guy

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

An olympic runner on a California gold token, or how about a dragon...?

Howdy Once Again:

There are a number of California "gold" tokens (most of the ones I am chatting about today are really gilt pieces) which are a bit different from what you might expect. The most common tokens seen on ebay, for example, are of the Indian Head or Liberty Head design, a few Arms of California design, and a few Miner with Pick design.

However, an interesting group of tokens produced around 1932-1936, or thereabouts, reflect special events. The most common of these tokens were those produced for the 1932 Olympic games in Los Angeles. There are two general types, a sprinter and a discus thrower. But there are others. In 1935 such a token was produced for the San Diego California Exposition, and in 1936 a token was produced for the San Francisco-Bay Bridge event that year. There is even an undated token identified as the San Francisco Chinatown token which carries the design of a dragon on the obverse.

Each of these tokens has the same general reverse (a bear, "1/2" and "California Gold"). All are fairly scarce and difficult to find, usually costing over $100.00 and up to $400+ for a really nice example. If you happen to see one, they are always a pretty good investment as they keep going up in value. I purchased a Bay Bridge token in 2003 for $15.00 and now they are selling for, as I said before, $100.00 and up. This $15.00 token came back from NGC as an MS-64 if I remember correctly !!

Mike Locke's California Gold website gives a good description of each of these types of tokens. He has a really good section on the Olympic tokens (who made them, who commissioned them, why they were given away free, etc.).

Thanks for reading and take a look at these tokens in my signature set entitled "California and Related Special Events Gold Tokens." Later. CGTG

7353.jpg