• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full Split Fingers

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Well this has been on my mind for quite some time, As many of us know certain series of coins has special designations that denote a strong strike and that adds value to the coin. such as the full head on the SLQ and the full torch on the mercury dime. So i propose that for the Seated Quarter the "Full Split Fingers" designation. most dates you find in the series do not have full seperation in the fingers of liberty where she is holding the liberty pole. This is just a thought from someone obsessed by the series, what do you fine folks out there think?

Hi all,

Well this has been on my mind for quite some time, As many of us know certain series of coins has special designations that denote a strong strike and that adds value to the coin. such as the full head on the SLQ and the full torch on the mercury dime. So i propose that for the Seated Quarter the "Full Split Fingers" designation. most dates you find in the series do not have full seperation in the fingers of liberty where she is holding the liberty pole. This is just a thought from someone obsessed by the series, what do you fine folks out there think?

The same designation could be used for the Walker,don't you think? That's what came to mind when I saw your title.

That's exactly what I thought...another Walking Liberty thread.

FF (Full Fist) that's what I was thinking, when that coin came out, America was shaking her fist.

There are too many areas on Seated coins that are prone to incomplete strike to make it reasonable to isolate just that one area. The first place thing I usually look for is fully segmented stars, but that's only a starting point (and of course, useless on "no stars" coins).

I consider all of these strike designations as just another way to seperate colelctors from their money by creating an artificial perception of scarcity for coins that are otherwise generally common or very common. Coins with better strikes do deserve to sell for more (all other things being more or less equal) but not necessarily for as much as they frequently do as a result of one particular feature.

Russ Bega----- Like the others, when I saw the "Full Split Fingers", I thought immediately about Walkers. That issue of whether that should be on Walker slab inserts----has been talked about for years.

Sorry that I can't say anything about the Seated Quarters.I just don't collect enough of them to have a real opinion. Take care. Bob [supertooth]

I really don't know anything about Seated Liberty - but I know that Walkers are indeed collected by Full Thumb. I am working on a set of these myself. I would much rather see full thumb designated, because I know that many collectors search these out already. How many people actively search for full split fingers on seated coins?

new monikers on slabs

FST fully split thumb

FSF fully split fingers

FSS fully segmented stars

FISR fully insized shield rivits

FETC full eagle talons and claws

FSK fully struck knees (seated coin)

FSHE fully struck hair over ear (morgan dollars)

FSBF fully struck breast feathers (morgan dollars)

FST fully struck torch (on saint gaudens double eagles)

FRN fully raised (non flattened) nose (on saint gaudens double eagles)

etc.

with a little picture of david hall if it is like 90+% full but does not make the designation of full

and if the coin is 64.785-64.999 then it gets a + too but not a plus if 64.775

and if the coin gets a 64 with no + then it is a piece of mess

The topic of "full thumb" on Walkers has been brought up on numerous occasions, here and elsewhere. I'll go ahead and give my dissenting opinion, just to be :insane: annoying.

Walking Liberty's thumb is not the last detail to be struck up on a walker. The forefinger is even less often fully delineated than the thumb, and that's just on the obverse! In my experience, without question, you have to go to the reverse of a walker to find out where the strike weakness most often occurs, and it's on the leading edge of the eagle's trailing foot. That is always (almost anyway) the weakest area.

If you can see all the feathers in that area, you are virtually guaranteed that the coin is fully struck everywhere else.

Back to seated coins, the problem is that multiple details are tied for being the last to get fully struck. Further, there are far too many types, subtypes and hub changes that occurred to make one area (such as the fingers) a consistently useful PUP (pickup point) for assessing detail. So that is why such a designation would be vastly misleading on the seated coins, in my opinion.