• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Commemorative Arts Gold Coins

6 posts in this topic

In the late 70's & early 80's, I purchased a few Grant Woods (1oz) & Marian Anderson (1/2oz) gold coins. Never liked them To me, very unimpressive. They are still in the styro holder with the tape over them. Never been out of their holder. I look at my GSA's frequently but really have no interest in looking at the gold coins which in some cases have a higher value.

So, it their any additional value to these gold coins or should I consider selling for cash (for more GSA's). .I should have purchased more GSA's back in the 70's!!!

Chet

These aren't coins. They are medals that have not been monetized by the US government. Of course, the gold content makes them valuable. These trade in my area at about 97% of their melt value and have never been able to obtain any traction as far as collecting pressure. They are viewed by most as purely bullion investments.

I sold a bunch a while ago. Had to push to get maximum value out of them. There's no collector interest - just rather ugly lumps of gold.

I've got a few of these too. Not a bad idea if one wants to buy pure bullion -- maybe someday there may be collector interest so buying at bullion rate (if one wants to buy bullion) makes these an interesting alternative.

Just about what I thought. Bullion it is! I just seem to have a problem selling anything I have purchased. Anyone else buy but never sell??

Chet