• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you nervous................

8 posts in this topic

when someone posts a negative comment or experience with the grading services? Do you feel the value of your collection might drop? A long, long time ago, coins used to be a hobby, now it's described in terms of turnaround times, higher grades, body bags, market conditions, stock value, terms that have nothing to do with coins. If you value your collection in terms of liquidity, aren't you just using coins as an investment rather than hobby? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Why do the foreign collectors laugh at us? 893frustrated.gif

TRUTH

I believe that any issue that involves the top grading companies can hurt the hobby as a whole.

Lets just say PGC (professional grading company) starts having trouble with their reputation, although some people may go to APGC (another professional grading company) some may think "why bother, PGC is probably as bad as APGC"

I'd much rather see them be 3rd party grading services without the politics and game playing.

Dave

Why do the foreign collectors laugh at us? 893frustrated.gif

I'm not laughing, actually I sympathize, but I'm also having fun!

While I do mostly collect foreign I also make use of TPGs (mainly NGC). My motives are mostly for authentication, to get a professional ballpark opinion of the grade and a snazzy & safe holder.

I really don't care if the grade is a notch too high or low as the values don't vary all that much. Just get it close and I can negotiate from there.

As for turnaround times, never had a problem but if the times we're several months I'd wait for the crush to ease.

Bodybagged coins go back into airtites with a lesson learned.

Finally, for the market conditions now that Greg has joined me in the darkside I think we are the market. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

-JamminJ

"I really don't care if the grade is a notch too high or low"

thumbsup2.gif That's the exact message I like to hear as a collector. But now it's grade, grade, grade equals value, value, value equals $$$$$$$$$$$$. I just want the coin. 893frustrated.gif

TRUTH

>>>when someone posts a negative comment or experience with the grading services?

Couldn't care less.

>>>Do you feel the value of your collection might drop?

Couldn't care less.

>>>If you value your collection in terms of liquidity, aren't you just using coins as an investment rather than hobby?

Not a consideration.

>>>>Why do the foreign collectors laugh at us?

Because we are funny? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My reaction if the TPG's disappeared tomorrow: sleeping.gif

jom

when someone posts a negative comment or experience with the grading services?

Depends on the comment. For the most part don't really care. I don't collect plastic, I collect coins that will have value outside the plastic.

Do you feel the value of your collection might drop?

Only if the talk is that AT coins are getting thru the grading services and there is proof to back it up. I'll still love my coins.

A long, long time ago, coins used to be a hobby, now it's described in terms of turnaround times, higher grades, body bags, market conditions, stock value, terms that have nothing to do with coins. If you value your collection in terms of liquidity, aren't you just using coins as an investment rather than hobby? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of course they are an investment. They are also a hobby. I couldn't see spending tens of thousands of dollars a year on coins if there wasn't investment potential. I'd probably collect state quarters out of change and use the money to buy stock instead. Still, I love my coins!

Why do the foreign collectors laugh at us? 893frustrated.gif

Because they have no idea how much money we make by slabbing, reslabbing, regrading, etc our coins. Of course the smart US collectors are slabbing CERTAIN coins and laughing..... all the way to the bank. Slab certain coins and with the money you make you can buy other things, like a really nicely toned Roanoke in NGC MS66. smirk.gifflowerred.gif