• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to price high grade slabbed Swiss coins?

5 posts in this topic

I'm considering building a gem BU swiss early 20th century type set. I'm looking at some coins in the MS66-67 range and I'm wondering if the prices that the sellers are asking are fair. What's the best way to price these coins since numismedia apparently doesn't have values for any of them?

The best way, as always, is to look at prices realized in auctions. I'm not sure how much volume Heritage does in these. How early are you looking? I know Teletrade, believe it or not, sells a decent amount of Swiss coinage in that range - becuase I'm always looking at them. They are quite beautiful, but I cannot afford to start another set.

I agree with Physics. Check Teletrade and Heritage.

I will add though that at least some of the early 20th century dates are rare or I believe them to be, at least in high grade.

If I was going to add another series to my collection, the 19th century issues would be one candidate, the ones with the Seated Helvetia. But I would probably buy those raw from public auctions in SixBid.com. Its the only place I see them with any regularity other that for a date such as the 1850 and 1851.

What I was looking at was the "Standing Helvetia" material from about 1895-1949. Like I said, early 20th century, maybe bleeding over into the late 19th.

I'm starting out by getting 1922 10F (MS65) and 1930ish 20F (MS65 or MS66). gold coins I'd also like to pick up a 1/2F, 1F, 2F, and 5F silver denominations.

I have a 1886 and 1896B 20F in NGC MS63 and a 1898B in NGC MS64. I also have a 1911B in NGC MS65 and the elusive key date 1926 in NGC MS66.

That one cost a fortune!

I only have one 10F, a 22B in NGC MS66.

I wouldn't restrict myself to just MS65-66 coins as you'll miss out on a lot of beautiful MS64 material. Also I have found pre-1900 MS66-67 coins carry quite a premium.