• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to this coin?

13 posts in this topic

So here' a coin a bought a couple years ago. This is a scan, so it's not that great, but the before and after pics are a mere shadow of the actual state. What happened? (and is this covered by the NGC guarantee?)

-drew

?action=view&current=1902IHCgarden.jpg

Copper can become unstable inside plastic. That sucks. I would hope ngc covers this sort of stuff, but I don't think so.

How was the coin stored? and where?

Going back to another post elsewhere, this is why you put CARE (a copper coin treatment solution) or something similar BEFORE you have a coin slabbed.

i think this will be covered under the ngc guarantee

i WOULD send it under appearance review ngc and; see the green stuff on the coin?? ngc will either fix it for you in other words send it to ngc conservation at their cost and then after it gets removed have it regraded and if it regrades ms 64 then you get the coin back in a new slab done deal but if the coin comes back ms 63 or a details grade then they will offer you some sort of a combo ; you get the coin back and some cash

i did this with a morgan dollar ms 63 that turned in an older holder brown splotchy after a dip gone bad and they took care of it redipped the coin and came back blast white with the same flash and blast as it did before i sent it in

i then sent the coin to pcgs for crossover and pcgs crossed the morgan dollar a 1894-s into not only the same graded holder ms 63 but put PL on the holder as well

the reverse was pl and the obverse dmpl

then i got rid of the coin

Here's an interesting update. Got out the QX5 microscope and took a few pics:

1902IHCcloseup.jpg?t=1273408736

Coin was stored in a cool dry place in an intercept shield holder with other copper cents, so I'm sure it's not the storage conditions that led to this effect.

Clearly seems like a copper sulfate material, which means there had to be some sulfur in the slab. Where would that come from?

-drew

97973.jpg.759acae0bb92a158c466097704968f68.jpg

The coin was contaminated prior to being slabbed, and those spots would have developed almost regardless of the environment. You should be covered under the NGC guarantee.

verd.jpg

After returning from vacation, Roger Hiorns found his entire apartment was covered in verdigris.

Note: there may have been sulfur present, but some type of chloride was more prevalent to create those type of crystalline salts.

We do have some resident experts here that will assist to define/answer the question of what happened...the forum has pretty much established NGC will take a look at this IHC and make a determination on their end.

Here's an interesting update. Got out the QX5 microscope and took a few pics:

1902IHCcloseup.jpg?t=1273408736

Coin was stored in a cool dry place in an intercept shield holder with other copper cents, so I'm sure it's not the storage conditions that led to this effect.

Clearly seems like a copper sulfate material, which means there had to be some sulfur in the slab. Where would that come from?

-drew

that is caused from pvc in plastic . sorry i cant give more information im more of a comic guy

That is NOT from PVC. I suspect more likely it is a form of copperchloride and more likely comes from salt contamination from sweat traces from long ago handling.

I was thinking saliva from a cough or possibly something worse from a sneeze since it's pretty spread out but obviously being on both sides of the coins would make my theory far less likely but still possible. hm