• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 SLQ Type-1

7 posts in this topic

I was looking through some of my father's silver coins the other day and found this Standing Liberty Quarter from my past...

1917SLQ-1.jpg

1917SLQ-2.jpg

I purchased this at Macy's Herald Square when they had a coin department on the top floor past the Persian rug department. Probably 35 years ago at the least. After I had bought a few coins from them they realized I was not a threat (I was in a band at the time and had long hair) and would let me look at coins while they tended shop.

Back then I would choose coins based on eye appeal and not strictly on grade. I believe Macy's called this VF+. I had always wanted a Type-1 SLQ and had just worked several hours of overtime. When I saw it I fell in love.

What do you think? VF-30? VF-35?

VF-25 to 30..Looks a bit too marked for a 35, but it might just be that the images are making the marks come out too well.

I think you may be right. An honest VF-25, and without the gash on her neck maybe VF-30.

VF-35 with the beer googles on. :wink:

I compared the wear on a 1930 I had graded recently (yes, I know the coin isn't worth the grading fees but that's another story). Anyway, my coin graded VF25.

Yours definitely shows less wear. I'm no grader and I know there are other factors to consider but IMO I think yours would grade at least VF 30.