• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1907 St. Gaudens arabic NGC MS62, any chance for upgrade???

13 posts in this topic

1907 St. Gaudens arabic numerals graded MS62 by NGC. This is my favorite coin i own. I am thinking of sending it in for a possible upgrade but wanted to see what you guys think. The obverse is free of any marks which is why i think it could grade higher.

4-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

5.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

10.jpg

The obverse looks nice, but the reverse has some serious chatter on the coin and this is probably how it received the MS62 grade. You may like it as a regrade, but I will caution you that this is a newer generation NGC holder and that means the coin was likely graded recently and that their standards may be essentially the same today as they were when the coin was graded previously.

she looks pretty marked up. Mostly on the reverse. however from the pictures i think it's higher than a 62. you could give it a shot.

As Tom B posted the Obverse looks nice but the reverse has to many dings for an upgrade. Yours is a newly slabed coin , chances of an upgrade are slim unless you crack it out , and then you could find yourself with an MS 61 if you are unlucky. The value change from Ms 62 – Ms 63 is not worth the effort. Keep it in its current holder.

Won't go up past a 63 at best. The obverse is worthy of a 64+, but the reverse it heavily marked up. Still a very eye appealing piece. Leave it.

That's a newer NGC holder. If I was in your position I would not resubmit. Nice coin but you need to understand the market from the TPG point of view. No market pressure to issue an upgrade. That's the reality.

$ilverHawk

anything is possible

but the reverse limits the grade to ms 62; if not ms 61, or an unc. details holder

i would leave it as is

good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to the boards

I would say it's likely undergraded, but at best it might go up 1 point to a 63. It's a very sweet looking coin, and I know I'd be happy to have it. I have a number of 62s in my collection, and it's been very rare that I've found occasion and motivation to upgrade a single point!

And as for the chatter on the reverse, photos ALWAYS amplify marks on gold, and I've seen worse chatter on 63s and even one or two in 64 slabs!

If you put a strong glass (10X) on Ms. Liberty's bust line and knee, I think you will find a dull spot in both places. If you see a dull spot, chances are the coin is a MS-58 / 62. The reverse also had a lot of chatter, more than you would expect from an MS-63. I don’t see an upgrade here.

The coin is nice for a 1907 Arabic date St. Gaudens $20 because the issue tends to come on the dull side with below average strikes. But this one is maxed out with respect to grade IMO.

I'm sorry I love the OBS.

But like the majority herein I'd KEEP the MS62 as is...

And I can tell you that I kept 10 that way too.

That is a PRETTY first example 1907 coin, however.

Sadly, sorry.